ICE Wiring Question

Mike C

Right,

I've got a set of rear coaxial speakers and a set of front components

I've got a 4-channel amp

what wiring etc do I need to buy now to set that all up? I've only got whatever came with the speakers atm, and whatever buy, I want to be getting the best out of the amp and the speakers

Also, I've got a pair of sunvisor screens, plus another screen that I'm going to fit into the dash at a later date (I've got to mod the dash and mount it properly), and a DVD player that I'm gonna stick in the glovebox

How do I get all that gear running through the amp/speakers as well?

:cheers:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right,

I've got a 4-channel amp

what wiring etc do I need to buy now to set that all up?

You will need to buy some decent speaker wire for a start, as said a 4 gauge wire kit, so 4 gauge power (5m), 4 guage ground wire (1 - 2m), Remote wire, (any really only carrys 3v), 40A in line fuse for near the battery, distribution block for the rear, so you can add further amps as and when.

I've only got whatever came with the speakers atm, and whatever buy, I want to be getting the best out of the amp and the speakers

Also, I've got a pair of sunvisor screens, plus another screen that I'm going to fit into the dash at a later date (I've got to mod the dash and mount it properly), and a DVD player that I'm gonna stick in the glovebox

It depends on what head unit you use, if it has a aux in on it then run the rca off the dvd to that! if not run the rca off the dvd to the amp direct, but you would need to split the input on the amp with a couple of rca splitters, prob with that is, no volume control off head unit etc!

if i were you definately get the a head unit with a built in AUX IN

This is my headunit, don't really understand what all the spec means, but I ain't gonna change it

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...y=ICA+CD+Tuners

Can anyone give me a link to a decent wiring kit for a good price that will do me?

I had a Kicker Distribution block, but gave the fcuker away, didn't think I'd be needing it again

I've got a 4-channel amp

what wiring etc do I need to buy now to set that all up? I've only got whatever came with the speakers atm, and whatever buy, I want to be getting the best out of the amp and the speakers

I would recommend either 12 or 10 gauge cable from the amp to the speakers and bin the cable supplied.

You will need RCA cables and this is where you should invest your cash , decent quality not AUTOLEADS muck !!!

I would recommend a video amplifier as you are going to run 3 screens and the more you add the less the quality gets and this will allow you to split the video signal without adding shitty Y leads.

I would say power cable at a minimum of 4 gauge and if you want to control it from your head unit you will need AUX in or an audio switching unit.

I've got a 4-channel amp

I would recommend either 12 or 10 gauge cable from the amp to the speakers and bin the cable supplied.

You will need RCA cables and this is where you should invest your cash , decent quality not AUTOLEADS muck !!!

I would recommend a video amplifier as you are going to run 3 screens and the more you add the less the quality gets and this will allow you to split the video signal without adding shitty Y leads.

I would say power cable at a minimum of 4 gauge and if you want to control it from your head unit you will need AUX in or an audio switching unit.

Where's my best place to buy all this gear from, any links?

I was just about to post a link to an Autoleads kit and ask if it was any good 'til I read this, lol

click

thats what you need for the 3 screens, something alsong those lines! splits the video signal off the dvd into 4 without loss of quality!

then as for RCA, if you only running 1 amp then what the hell is wrong with a autoleads one? agreed about wanting good one, non of that stuff that looks just like speaker wire, you want a reasonably chunky one that has a large rubber surround to the wires to stop interferance from the power in the car!

will look for one now!

Don't get me wrong the autoleads kit like most brands come in grades and the upper grades are ok.

The video splitter can be bought from there too , but have a look on the VEBA site or any other reputable audio dealer will have what you need.

I will have a look at your head unit from your last post in a minute and check the specs.

If you want the best out of an AV set up why not add a small sub to increase the depth and add listening pleasure , either active - amp built in or passive -another amp.

Its amazing how much detail you miss without the sub and how much it enhances the rest of your system.

Does your amp have an output set of connections , if so run an active bass setup as these can be tiny boxes , i have a small sony one kicking about that is about 12" square with an 8" sub and it can really drop !!!

will get back to you in a minute !

Right , you are in luck , your head unit has aux in so you can link the dvd into it by means of rca and control the sound from your head.

it also has sub out so you can either run an active or passive sub if desired without any aggro.

I quite like VEBA. In fact my DVD player is VEBA anyway

As for extras, like I say, there will be a 3rd screen added, but I need to do some dash mods 1st. Plus the only other thing I'm going to add in the future is a double 12" VIBE box with built in amp. One of the new active ones. So I'm not going too fancy

For now, I just want the speakers, amp and screen doing the best job as they can, and looking as OEM as possible!

amp kit wise, simple you get what you pay for!

click

to me that is extremely over the top but hell that would do it for 1 amp! even comes with a power cap!

forgot to add mike, power cap is a good idea as it acts like a 2nd battery, so when the amp suddenly draws alot of power out your battery, the cap kicks in to give it that power with out draining the car bat, which would cause things like dimming likes that go with the music! lol

I quite like VEBA. In fact my DVD player is VEBA anyway

As for extras, like I say, there will be a 3rd screen added, but I need to do some dash mods 1st. Plus the only other thing I'm going to add in the future is a double 12" VIBE box with built in amp. One of the new active ones. So I'm not going too fancy

For now, I just want the speakers, amp and screen doing the best job as they can, and looking as OEM as possible!

so definatly add a distribution block now then! also if you do plan to run 2 amps,

power cap and 4awg wire is a must!

I use VEBA if my customer doesn't want to use high grade and have yet to send anything back under warranty.

As for power and fusing the amp and active vibe count the values of all your fuses up and add another 10amps worth to cover when you are driving the system hard and that will be your fuse rating and you want that as close to the batt as possible.

Run all your power down one side of the car your rca's down the middle and speaker cable dow the other to avoid and unwanted interference.

Even think about a 1 farad cap to lighten the load on the battery and give your system a bit more when it needs it.

When I asked about buying a power cap before, I was advised not to after a few people had issues and said I'd be better off with an uprated battery (Bosch Silvertop) and uprated alternator if need be

Power caps are a load of bóllocks. People who promote them frankly don't understand how capacitors work.

that's what everyone said pretty much on an E36 forum...

Right then...

For the screens, is this ok?

http://www.veba.uk.com/products/info/AVVA13.html

It says 1 in, 3 out. Is that good enough to run 3 screens from one DVD player?

Now for leads, I'm lost...

I want a power lead. Is 4gauge ok?

I Speaker Cable. What gauge?

I want RCA Leads? Show me a decent one. Are there different thicknesses for these?

And extra leads for the screens/DVD. Do I need anything?