cooling fan not working.

onehotminute_191

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did the thermostat open when in boiling water?? and then close when taken out??

well how do you mean open? i didnt look like it moved much to be honest lol. what part has to move in what direction? theres 2 springs holding the internal shaft part and the small plate at the back.

did the thermostat open when in boiling water?? and then close when taken out??

well how do you mean open? i didnt look like it moved much to be honest lol. what part has to move in what direction? theres 2 springs holding the internal shaft part and the small plate at the back.

it should open out when in boiling water, the whole point of the test ->

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/cooling-system-thermostat.gif

if it doesnt open (and then close when taken out) then its fooked

ok ill test the old one just out of interest. but it seems like its opening because the pipe that runs away from the stat once its open get really hot. only after a while though, the pipe on the other side that circulate inside the engine are hot pretty quickly then after 5 minutes or so the big pipe going to the top of the rad get red hot. well not red, but you know what i mean

Ahh youve already replaced the thermostat with a new 1??

yeah. replaced that and also the fan temperature switch. if i short out across the fan temp switch and bypass it the fan comes on. well it latches the relay behind the battery that switches the fan on. i havent let the engine run too hot. ive let the needle go up to 'm' on the guage where it says normal.

if i short out across the fan temp switch and bypass it the fan comes on. well it latches the relay behind the battery that switches the fan on.

Yes it's all from the fan switch... if you have a/c then there is an additional circuit to switch the fan on half speed..

yeah thats working. it must latch the relay on and the fan switch circuit must also latch the relay. seems strange but ill try the stat and post again soon.

cheers

got confused stu..altho maybe 1hotminute could clarify. does the fan come on when AC is on? or just the clicking relay?

Cos when he bridges the thing he says it clicks....but doesnt clarify weather the fan spins or not with the clicking