cooling fan not working.

onehotminute_191

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to take so long getting back ppl. yes the fan does spin up when shorting across the fan switch. i only mention the relay clicking becuase i could hear it go and that must switch the fan circuit. also when you turn on the a/c the fan runs as normal. but i cnt hear the relay click as im in the car turning the switch i just assume its incorporated in the same circuit. as i dont have the correct diagrams im not entirely sure.

what was you thinking then?

i tried the stat today and still havent had any luck but as someone said it may be worth getting qenuine ford parts and ill try again

Edited by onehotminute_191

If the fan spins when you bridge it then the fault can only really lie with the fan switch or stat.......... or perhaps water pump ;)

well i got all ford stat and fan switch. i let it run up to temp and it still didnt come on so i let it keep heating up and the fan came on when the needle was in the middle of 'a' of 'normal' i didnt let it run this high before because on my last one it always came on dead in the centre of normal. maybe it was fine all along but it just didnt seem right. maybe my needle is off slightly but it wasnt on the last car so maybe the temp is a little higher.

at what point does it normally come on? its a 97 gti with air con.

also MEEKSTAA at what point did the fan come on when you had it? if it was in the centre my needle maybe reading slightly off. but at least it didnt hit the red :thumb:

If the fan spins when you bridge it then the fault can only really lie with the fan switch or stat.......... or perhaps water pump ;)

well i got all ford stat and fan switch. i let it run up to temp and it still didnt come on so i let it keep heating up and the fan came on when the needle was in the middle of 'a' of 'normal' i didnt let it run this high before because on my last one it always came on dead in the centre of normal. maybe it was fine all along but it just didnt seem right. maybe my needle is off slightly but it wasnt on the last car so maybe the temp is a little higher.

at what point does it normally come on? its a 97 gti with air con.

also MEEKSTAA at what point did the fan come on when you had it? if it was in the centre my needle maybe reading slightly off. but at least it didnt hit the red :thumb:

I'm sure whats happening is fine with yours. And i personally can't remember when the fan started to come on, sorry

my fan on my old engine came on at 'A', my new lump seems to come on at 'L', and my old gti came on when the needle was vertical. i think you'll find they all vary a bit!!

ok i thought it shouldve come on a bit lower down. and yeah my stat does say 92degrees on it. i thought the operating temp was a bit lower than that but it dont matter now. as long as it down overheat.

cheers everyone