Audio Volume Problem

ScottSummerhayes

Hello Everyone, Just installed all my new ICE. I did it part by part and finally finished it off last night with fitting the Front Component speakers. I seem to have a slight problem....

Basically they are really really quiet. I had one side all done and was listening to the difference between the stock ford and the ones i just installed. And personally the stock ford speakers were way way louder!

Normally on my headunit volume level "30" is what i always put it on when listening to music pretty loud (and it is) but now all i can hear is bass due to my Sub+Amp over powering the front speakers. This was NEVER the problem before changing them :( It was acutely the other way round, i was thinking of turning the gain up on the amp!

Im pretty disappointed because i was expecting much cleaner and vibrant audio when up loud (stock for speakers would distort) and there pathetic...

Just to note how bad it is, i picked my girlfriend up and she put on one of her fav songs and turn't it up to the normal loud setting of "30" she then looked at me and said "what have you done to your car, all i can hear is the bass no vocals etc...." That coming from a dizzy blonde must mean something.......

Heres what i got:

Pioneer Deh-P6000ub Head unit (50x4 peak)

FLI Comp 6 intergrator (85w RMS / 90db)

Stock ford wiring w/adaptor plates

JLB Sub and Amp

Help please guys :( I won't want to stick the ford units back in and waste my new £60 components

Just noticed that on the FLI website it says:

Minimum input: 45W RMS

Is this the reason why? obviously my 50w peak headunit is going to do 45w rms (prob about 20-25)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

amp them, they will sound 100 times better! then you can also control the voloumes seperatly for sub and speakers,

i have 2 amps in mine

AMP 1 - 2 x 12" subs

AMP 2 - 4 6.5" coaxials (2 in each door) and for me having amped speakers in the front like that is the best option, i dont like having all the amped speakers at the back, sounds crap!

just buy a small amp 2 channel will do! then you can play it at your usual volume and set the bass and speaker volumes on each amp to get the best sound!

Looks like im going to have to amp them! more bloody money....

Guess i will stick the amp under the seat, so its nice and close for the wiring!

How would i go about wiring up a 2nd amp? obviously i have power coming into the car but im going to have to re-run another right? The one now wouldn't be man enough, and they just splise off the remote power and connect the RCA's up....Plus then run all the wiring to the speakers... AHH SO MUCH WORK.

I only use 50wx2 for my fronts which is loud enough tbh. You might get away with your current wiring and tapping into it as its run down the car. What size cabling is it, and what amplifier do you have running off it at the moment?

Watch ebay and you can probably pick an amp up for 15-30 quid.

Looks like im going to have to amp them! more bloody money....

Guess i will stick the amp under the seat, so its nice and close for the wiring!

How would i go about wiring up a 2nd amp? obviously i have power coming into the car but im going to have to re-run another right? The one now wouldn't be man enough, and they just splise off the remote power and connect the RCA's up....Plus then run all the wiring to the speakers... AHH SO MUCH WORK.

another wiring kit or a power distribution block on your current wiring kit (providing the wire is thick enough) IIRC its best to use 4gauge from battery to distribution block then 8gauge from the block to the amps, then use seperate earths for each amp, remote cable either seperate or the same one, doesnt matter

rather than 2 power wires etc coming off the battery best way:

Run 4gauge wire from battery to Distribution block which will be extra fuses for safety, then run 8 gauge to both amps, then run remote cable from one amp to the other in series, then seperate 8 gauge ground wires, sorted,

It may just be a match of your headunit and the speakers in the doors

What do you mean a "match"...?

How do you know 4 gauge will be enough? Id wait to find out what hes running first.

Im running amp wise a 300-400w RMS JBL GTO Powering a 300W RMS JBL Sub in Bridged mode. I think i will keep the wiring separate and just run another power cable. I just remembered that my headunit has 3 remote outs so i wont have to worry about them (one for each pre-out i guess...). Ground won't be a problem, just running the speaker wires.

Watch ebay and you can probably pick an amp up for 15-30 quid.

I would rather buy new, used electricals is just asking for problems....

And i think the wiring i have now to my amp is 0guage (???)

Also, if the headunit is right-up it sounds pretty crappy. lots of clipping etc. Im sure this is because it is running at its max right? if it was amp'd will it sound better?

Thanks for all your help people

scotty

BTW: I just got a ride in the best Sierra Cossy in the country! I pretty much Shite my pants

Headunit matched to the speakers? I kinda disagree with that, or maybe I dont understand what you mean.

If its 0guage thats great. You could get a T junction block to take an 8 or 4 guage cable to your new amp easily.

Ive never really had a problem with used amplifiers. Have a look on Talkaudio.com, theyre classifieds are very good.

Your headunit is just pretty much running out of power hence the clipped/disorted sound, the solution is pretty much more power :)