battery died over night

craigc86si

wen i parked up outside my house at bout 11ish last nite i switched the ignition off an my heated windscreen switch stayed on, thought it was strange that it wud stay on so i switched it off not really thinkin it wud do any harm but i was woken up at 5 this morn by the sound of my alarm as my battery was dyin,wen i opened up the car i switched the interior light on an it was really dull, anyway i disconnected the battery as i couldn shut my alarm up an had to leave it til 2nite to try an sort the prob, i jump started it an everythin seemed ok, i also disconnected the switch for the heated windscreen thinkin this mayb my problem. i shut the car off, then 5mins later it lost its charge an back to square 1. so we jumped it again an this time i took it out for a long-ish drive to try an put sum charge back in the system,this was bout an hour ago an ive jus tried to start it an its dead again. wot could the problem be? knackered battery? or anythin else?

cheers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a short to me. I had a short circuit on my front fog light loom. the wires were chaffed and they were shorting out and causing the fog lights to be on even when the lights were off

so if i was to just take the connector out the back of the switch will that stop it workin all together? cuz i couldnt find a fuse for it

See if the battery is holding its charge,

I had the same issue, used car night before , woke up battery dead, call AA out, he tested the alternator was sending current back to the battery, which it was 100 % fine, we then checked the battery, it was buggered, not holding charge, went got new battery .. Sorted :P

as a DIY test, why not leave the multimeter on the battery and start unplugging fuses, once u see the voltage stop dropping that should kinda give u an idea what's causing the drain. ie a electrical fault to do with the fuse removed

tried that too my friend, pulled every fuse out an checked but still drops each time

hmmm ok, what about the fuses/relays that go direct on the battery, the large squareish metal plate that sits on top of the + terminal on the battery is part of them. take that off, you should still have another small round connector that needs to be connected. IF still goes down then put back ad take off the small round connector ?

hmmm ok, what about the fuses/relays that go direct on the battery, the large squareish metal plate that sits on top of the + terminal on the battery is part of them. take that off, you should still have another small round connector that needs to be connected. IF still goes down then put back ad take off the small round connector ?

ive jus bin out an checked,the battery is sat at about 5.77v so ive taken off the large fuse box and theres 1 red wire left on the battery so il see if it drops anymore

Hang on that shouldn't that be 12.V NOT 5.77 V

yea exactly, it was on 12v after the car was jumpstarted but as soon as i turn it off it drains very quickly, its now on 3v since my last post,i disconnected the big fusebox an left the single thick red wire on and its still draining so where does that wire lead to? im completly useless with cars an car electrics etc.lol

wouldnt be a fooked regulator would it? provided cars have them...i assume so but im talking from a similar experiance with a motorbike :thumb:

i have no idea sorry mate,what is that? im completely useless with motor mechanics and electrics an my mechanic is a tad unreliable too so im pretty desperate.lol