battery died over night

craigc86si

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternator is naff. Sounds like rectifier is fried allowing current to flow into windings and draining battery. Easy test is as you have done already, pull all fuses and only thing left connected is to starter motor and alternator. Disconnect alternator and reconnect everything else check voltage. If no voltage drop then replace alternator. Try scrappy or Halfords do a decent price when you return/take in your one.

wel ive tried all i could and given up, its jus a real nasty time for all this to go wrong cuz my mechanic is away so ive decided i can cope over xmas without my car an let him fix it wen he's around again,thats his job (im a stonemason so ive got no hope lol). thanks for all ur help dudes but feel free to keep sending advice if u think somethin different

will do wen we find the problem, for the time bein my mechanic is puttin an isolation switch on the battery so i can use it wen i need to but will hopefully be gettin it looked at next saturday as im away next week,what a horrible time for all this to go wrong.lol.

i will update this thread when its solved

• 2 weeks later...
right problem solved, my mechanic took it away for the week whilst i was away and fixed the problem. in his words he replaced the main power lead from the starter to the alternator, the exciter wire for the alternator and part of the first ignition wire and that seems to have solved my problems. thanks to every1 for all there help and info. just wish i knew more about cars myself.lol