red rings

reaper tw4

it does work mate, apparently the RROD is caused because there is not enough breathing space on/around the chips because they used the wrong washers or something like that........ so this kit will give the XBOX a bit more room to breath inside with the bigger washers/nuts whatever it is.

Not quite no!

The problems lie with the xclamps that hold the heatsinks in place, the board when hot flexes & the clamps don't keep the heatsinks firm, this causes a break in solder of the GPU which results in the rings.

The xclamps are removed then replaced with new bolts and washers, you then start up the xbox without the fan cooling the gpu (around 20 mins) which in turn overheats your xbox causing the 2 rings (overheat) and melts the solder. The xbox is left to cool for a further 20-30 mins then you can fire up your working xbox, permanantly fixed (unlike if you send nack to microsoft which will eventually red ring again).

I will be doing this fix at the weekend so will report back. :innocent:

Aye, but.....

If you fix it yourself and then something else breaks (entirely possible) that you don't know how to fix, then you can't send it back to MS once you've opened it, can you?

Mine is with them just now for the DVD drive. Should be back next week, hopefully.

mine did that would read games....

if it did xbox had to warm up then would read them

Aye, but.....

If you fix it yourself and then something else breaks (entirely possible) that you don't know how to fix, then you can't send it back to MS once you've opened it, can you?

Mine is with them just now for the DVD drive. Should be back next week, hopefully.

Well at 25 quid posted i have nothing to lose here but im 99% confident nothing can go wrong, pretty straightforward fix & at 2.99 for the bits worth it even more.

The microsoft fix for the red rings is useless due to them returning it with a good chance it will happen again.

I've had a couple of friends who's 360s red ringed this year, and they've had them back for awhile now, playing fine. Perhaps they've changed the method that they used to use to fix them.

I don't work in the repair factory, so I wouldn't know 100% what they currently do.

TBF, MS fixing hardware for free >>>>>>>>> someone who hasn't opened the console before having a go.

Not saying that it won't work, and good luck to you, I'm sure it will.

id rather wait a week for MS to fix it and have the warrenty than risk buggering it up yourself

Like I said, i myself have no warranty, but possibly a fully working xbox 360 for 27.99 delivered.

Sidrick ill report my venture & results here.

Done it yet?

Yep! all worked well. For the overall cost of 2.99.

Only when you do this fix do you realise Microsofts simple fault & why it eventually red rings.

Not rocket science tbh, took most of the time removing the old heat paste / thermal compound from the chips & heatsinks.

Simple but clever stuff.

Next up is the exploit. :thumb: