Upgrade ur PS3 hard drive

Craig855S

Im doing this as soon as i can spare the money for the drive

Buy this,perfect 500GB drive for the job

And do this

There will prob be a way to back up ur saves on a USB stick or something before u start so u dont have to start all ur games again...And there u have it. A 500GB media centre

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will prob be a way to back up ur saves on a USB stick or something before u start so u dont have to start all ur games again...And there u have it. A 500GB media centre

You could possibly clone the data on to the new one, you would need a PC with 2 spare sata ports and some cloning software. No guarantee that this will work due to having no idea what type of partition is created by the PS3

does this void your warranty in any way? only reason is my mum paid for an extra warranty on mine....

I'd have thought yes, your modifying the original console.

But then again you only need a warranty on an Xbox lol

u cant put anything onto the new HDD before fitting it as the PS3 HAS to format it straight away.Prob best milking the saves off the PS3 onto some kind of media and then sticking them back on the PS3 once the new HDD is in...there is a "back up" function in the PS3s menus so i assume this will transfer necesary files onto a portable device like a usb stick or usb HD

• 4 weeks later...
ive just bought the 500GB HD i linked to in the first post..so ill be doing the upgrade on sunday or monday...just need a way to back my data up.It doesnt explain it in the video,im gonna need to borrow a large USB HDD

how far you from Manc, I have a External 500GB hdd you could borrow?

what is mkv? i notice that LOST is available in AVI and MKV formats on a certain website and i only download the AVI as i dont have the codec for MKV and doubt that TVERSITY will make an MKV work with the PS3.

The reason i am doing it is so i can fill my PS3 with music and AVIs so i dont need to swap discs around,waste electricity streaming from the laptop etc