Prob After 2.0 Upgrade.

webbysdad

webbysdad- According to my resources, your car (X*** SFC) could have either a 60 or 104 pin EEC-V ECU. I think the fact it may say EEC-IV on the sticker is a bit of a red herring. Your car will be OBD-II, which is what the digital dash is designed for. EEC-IV has no intelligence coming out of it to talk to the dash, never has done!

I'll have to look into it for you. The diagram I have here shows pin 14 on your ECU being the temp gauge signal to the digital dash.

I can verify 100% that ONIS is EEC-IV.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

webbysdad- According to my resources, your car (X*** SFC) could have either a 60 or 104 pin EEC-V ECU. I think the fact it may say EEC-IV on the sticker is a bit of a red herring. Your car will be OBD-II, which is what the digital dash is designed for. EEC-IV has no intelligence coming out of it to talk to the dash, never has done!

I'll have to look into it for you. The diagram I have here shows pin 14 on your ECU being the temp gauge signal to the digital dash.

How?

I'm waiting on someone to come back to be 100% definite on this. He has a feeling though, as SteveB correctly states, if it has EEC-IV on the sticker than it is EEC-IV.

Can you confirm if the car has a closely-coupled cat? Eg, hanging off the exhaust manifold?

How?

I'm waiting on someone to come back to be 100% definite on this. He has a feeling though, as SteveB correctly states, if it has EEC-IV on the sticker than it is EEC-IV.

Can you confirm if the car has a closely-coupled cat? Eg, hanging off the exhaust manifold?

I have a couple in my shed. It's also the one I built my code reader for.

The CAT location is under floor, not close coupled. I've found that that is pretty much the only way to tell if you have EEC-V.

Okay, spoke to my resource (best person I know for this kind of thing). He can't confirm 100% due to the age whether this is definitely EEC-V or not, but seems to remember the 1.6's of this vintage having closely-coupled cats, and if so then it's EEC-V.

The digital dashboard is a red herring. It does not require an EEC-V ECU to drive it (fully).

edit: SteveB is on the ball :)

So back on topic.. assuming now this car is an EEC-IV car...

temp gauge sender is nothing to do with the ECU, sounds unrelated to the conversion!

Edited by Stu

Okay, spoke to my resource (best person I know for this kind of thing). He can't confirm 100% due to the age whether this is definitely EEC-V or not, but seems to remember the 1.6's of this vintage having closely-coupled cats, and if so then it's EEC-V.

The digital dashboard is a red herring. It does not require an EEC-V ECU to drive it (fully).

temp gauge sender is nothing to do with the ECU, sounds unrelated to the conversion!

The car has a cat under the floor, not close up to the manifold, so I guess it's EEC-IV. There is only one temp sensor in the top of the thermostat housing so if that feeds the ecu surely the signal to the gauge will come from the ecu?? Have tried a different gauge and a new, genuine, sensor. Still no reading on the gauge. Idling prob has been sorted, a small hose that connects to the back of the inlet manifold had come adrift. Now idles nice and steady!!

Any further info much appreciated, cheers

Edited by webbysdad

The car has a cat under the floor, not close up to the manifold, so I guess it's EEC-IV. There is only one temp sensor in the top of the thermostat housing so if that feeds the ecu surely the signal to the gauge will come from the ecu?? Have tried a different gauge and a new, genuine, sensor. Still no reading on the gauge. Idling prob has been sorted, a small hose that connects to the back of the inlet manifold had come adrift. Now idles nice and steady!!

Any further info much appreciated, cheers

As Stu says, the gauge sender is underneath the housing - it just looks like a brass thread - the one on top is for the ECU.

Temp gauge sender is in the bottom of the stat housing..... not in the hose!

I was trying to give him an idea where to look - underneath the front hose.

I thought he may have gotten confused with the fan switch :)

Temp gauge sender is in the bottom of the stat housing..... not in the hose!

I was trying to give him an idea where to look - underneath the front hose.

I thought he may have gotten confused with the fan switch :)

Thanks for that guys, we have used the thermostat housing that was in the car. It only has one temp sensor, in the top of the housing. As a 1.6 with an ONIS ecu we presume the signal from the sensor goes to the ecu on pin 7 and is then repeated in some way to the temp gauge, perhaps as said earlier on pin 14? If that is so, is there any similar pin-out on the DEWY ecu perhaps on a different pin position? If there is no such thing on a DEWY the alternative ,I suppose, is a second sensor fitted in the bottom of the housing connected direct to the temp gauge but do the digi dash temp gauges accept a resistive earth as a signal? According to Haynes the gauge sensor is earthed one side, the other to the gage, the ecu temp sensor has a regulated 5v on one side, the other to pin 7 of ecu. But Haynes doesn't show anything relating to digi gauges. Strangely enough, the other gauges on the dash, electric speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge all appear to work ok.

No, the earlier ECU's have no output to the gauge. Interesting that your stat housing only has the CTS in it an no gauge sender. This even further re-inforces the argument that you have a 60-pin EEC-V ECU!

No, the earlier ECU's have no output to the gauge. Interesting that your stat housing only has the CTS in it an no gauge sender. This even further re-inforces the argument that you have a 60-pin EEC-V ECU!

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! My brain is starting to hurt!! If ONIS ecu is EEC-V......are the pin-outs the same as EEC-IV? They must be for the majority of them because the engine runs well and all the instruments, bar the temp gauge, work fine! I think I will go and lie down in a darkened room!!!! :nutter:

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! My brain is starting to hurt!! If ONIS ecu is EEC-V......are the pin-outs the same as EEC-IV? They must be for the majority of them because the engine runs well and all the instruments, bar the temp gauge, work fine! I think I will go and lie down in a darkened room!!!! :nutter:

Can you take the lid off the ONIS ECU and take a photo of whats inside? Then we can tell for sure what it is!!

Yes, the 60 pin EEC-V's are a close pin-out to the EEC-IV's (designed to be a easy replacement, transition path).. If your only issue is the temp gauge I can help you hook it up somehow.

Can you take the lid off the ONIS ECU and take a photo of whats inside? Then we can tell for sure what it is!!

Yes, the 60 pin EEC-V's are a close pin-out to the EEC-IV's (designed to be a easy replacement, transition path).. If your only issue is the temp gauge I can help you hook it up somehow.

That would be great, Stu, thanks. I will try and get a pic but may not for a day or so. Unless someone else is able to get a pic on here earlier?