BMW 318is mega-project

sidrick

Following my very clever BBQ of doom I received a deserved ban for 15 months and got my licence back at the end of October last year.

I've been looking for something for a while and would have bought Scottg17's lovely 3dr 1.6 last week if I could have got day insurance on it to take it home from Inverness, but because of my ban, I couldn't :(

Anyway, I picked this sorry mess up tonight, which now resides on my driveway:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/SDC10017.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/SDC10018-1.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/SDC10016.jpg

Not much to say about it. It's a bog standard BMW 318is (3dr coupe, 1.8 16v 140bhp, blah blah).

A couple of scabby arches, missing fog light, MOT's up tomorrow and the previous owner was clearly a bit of a dirty smoker.

Looking around it (not underneath) it should be okay for an MOT with a tyre (therefore two) and a front coil spring (again, two) and a couple of bulbs, as it passed the last one with no advisories and at the end of the day, I work in a garage ;)

Obviously I don't expect people to be able to comment much since the pics are horrific, but I just wanted to get a topic started to save me the effort of making one once things start to get moving.

No 'plans' as such and it's not one of EVO's famous 'projects', but I'll be removing the tow bar, getting M3 clear-topped rear lights, sourcing a front fog light and replacing the manky number plates (not sure if I'll go for German plates, but probably will). Since I need to replace the front coil springs it'll also get a slight lowering all round.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to hear about the crash you had a while back now, but glad to see you ok from it now.

Car doesn't look too bad actually. how much it set you back? you going for an M3 rep type thing or just going to leave it standardish, bar your plans in the pipe line at the mo, which sound good.

:)

sorry to hear about the crash you had a while back now, but glad to see you ok from it now.

Car doesn't look too bad actually. how much it set you back? you going for an M3 rep type thing or just going to leave it standardish, bar your plans in the pipe line at the mo, which sound good.

:)

Cheers. I'll wait and see how the car looks in the light, which due to work will be the weekend now. I actually thought it was dark green when I bought it!

I don't like disclosing how much cars set me back, but this one was between 349 and 351, which for and IS is good, MOT or not.

Like I said, no real plans, I'm too old and don't earn enough for the modifying malarky. Any cosmetic changes will be in fitting with BMW or Alpina styling, although I think scabby arches will take priority.

I've done A LOT of reading over the years into turbocharging the engine in this, and it's easier and cheaper than the Zetec, but I wouldn't like to commit to something like this so early. We'll see how the MOT goes first :)

Nice one,

I had one of these, loved it. All I did to mine was put some M3 rims on.

That colour looks awesome on the coupes, Look forward to seeing some better pics.

Aye, it's probably my favourite colour on the E36 except maybe the mauve/aubergene of the M3s.

This is my 5th E36, so I know what to expect and know them backwards mechanically. Lovely cars to work on.

Edited by sidrick

Im sure you will tidy this into a nice tidy motor, looks like it has potential.

I thought you where IT support or are you doing the garage as well?

Well, I'm IT support for a motor chain, so I was under 3 cars today trying to add wireless to diagnostics machines!

I work in IT..... in garages.... if that makes sense.

The only time it'll be into my work though is for the MOT and I think I'll stick it in for the springs before hand as I'm not dicking about on my driveway, with numb hands and cheap spring compressors at this time of year.

spot on for that sort of money!!!!

Aye, it stops, starts and turns corners, so I can't complain. Only thing I can moan about is insurance being on the wrong side of £2k, which I guess is offset by the cheapness of the car istself, but still not ideal :-\

It was one of those moments that I'm sure we've all had though.... I was biting the bullet looking at Fiestas just to get by for a year with insurance being acceptable, then saw this, near-by, and just thought 'fcuk it'.

Edited by sidrick

It was one of those moments that I'm sure we've all had though.... I was biting the bullet looking at Fiestas just to get by for a year with insurance being acceptable, then saw this, near-by, and just thought 'fcuk it'.

99% of my car buying has been made with that reasoning to be honest :D

dropped a little, later spec lights, M3 rims and you're onto a winner imo

99% of my car buying has been made with that reasoning to be honest :D

dropped a little, later spec lights, M3 rims and you're onto a winner imo

Aye, at the end of the day, I'd rather drive a car that didn't look amazing but was decent rather than a poofs/girls car.

Dropped slightly, M3 rear lights and OE (not necessarily M3) rims are the max that'll be done to it cosmetically. Like I said, too old and too poor for wide-boi antics.

I've got to be realistic in that I bought a very cheap car, so it's likely most money for the next few months will go towards getting it up to standard in general.