My new file server..

Stu

swear by the Corsair PSU range, and that 650W will be fine with all that!

There is no direct correlation between combined power (650w) and whether or not it will spin up 20 hard disks at the same time. The relevant number is how many amps it can sustain on the 12v rail, as this is what is being used for the motors in the drives.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
best psu make out there ;)

the most Harddrives ive ever seen though hahha!

Corsair make very good PSUs

there only 3 i would buy

Corsair, OCZ and BeQuiet

Ive just picked up a new OCZ modXstream 600w PSU for my latest build

Edited by scottg17

best psu make out there ;)

the most Harddrives ive ever seen though hahha!

Corsair make very good PSUs

there only 3 i would buy

Corsair, OCZ and BeQuiet

Ive just picked up a new OCZ modXstream 600w PSU for my latest build

Fortron can do the same job as OCZ for less than half the price. Nothing against OCZ, had them myself, they are just not necessary. Fortron with fan driven from 5V or 3.3V is unhearable, stable and within reasonable heat emission.

Good work, looking forward to this being up and running. How did the HDD get damaged? Arcing?

It is up and running now but I will be picking up the RMA'd disk tonight to finish it off. The disk died by fumbling with a molex power cable in the dark and managing to get it to mate backwards popping the protection diodes on the drive. The receptacles used in those molex connector housings are a bit loose and will allow the wrong pins to touch even though the housing is keyed.

It's funny because a guy at work did the same thing a month or so ago and I gave him a ribbing for it. Definitely a case of what goes around comes around!

Good work, looking forward to this being up and running. How did the HDD get damaged? Arcing?

It is up and running now but I will be picking up the RMA'd disk tonight to finish it off. The disk died by fumbling with a molex power cable in the dark and managing to get it to mate backwards popping the protection diodes on the drive. The receptacles used in those molex connector housings are a bit loose and will allow the wrong pins to touch even though the housing is keyed.

It's funny because a guy at work did the same thing a month or so ago and I gave him a ribbing for it. Definitely a case of what goes around comes around!

Shame. Easy fix though, im guessing theyre just surface mount jobbies. Havent you got any of the toys at your work to have sorted it yourself? Or was it still under warranty?

• 1 month later...

So I got slightly irritated by NexentaStor, mainly the poor cost:performance ratio of ZFS... so i've gone back to my roots a bit, and bought some new disk controller hardware...

3Ware 9750-4i SAS/SATA RAID Controller

http://www.scsi4me.com/images/3Ware-9750-4i.jpg

Chenbro 23601 6gbit SAS Expander

2333_1.jpg

(This is the slightly older CK13601 which is a 3gbit device)

This combo will let me daisy-chain up to 128 SAS/SATA devices - now there's expansion!

O/S is now Windows Server 2008 R2. Here's a screenshot of the RAID controller's web interface:

http://i.imgur.com/OwZ0K.jpg

Much better :)

So I got slightly irritated by NexentaStor, mainly the poor cost:performance ratio of ZFS... so i've gone back to my roots a bit, and bought some new disk controller hardware...

3Ware 9750-4i SAS/SATA RAID Controller

http://www.scsi4me.com/images/3Ware-9750-4i.jpg

Cost of this? Not cheap methinks?

O/S is now Windows Server 2008 R2. Here's a screenshot of the RAID controller's web interface:

Much better :)

Ive got a copy of Win Server 2008 on an educational open license that you couldve had. :rolleyes:

Never tried it though, how do you find it?