360 Game Review

lee grout

Been looking through the forum and looked at sidricks film review post... Well what else do I love other than films....GAMES :thumb:

I thought It'd be cool to start a topic where you can all review your best games old or new, Written or scored

Campaign

Multiplayer

Graphics

Gameplay

So while Iv started the post Id better get to playing Vanquish and campaign on dead space 2. :P

Been looking through the forum and looked at sidricks film review post... Well what else do I love other than films....GAMES :thumb:

I thought It'd be cool to start a topic where you can all review your best games old or new, Written or scored

Campaign

Multiplayer

Graphics

Gameplay

So while Iv started the post Id better get to playing Vanquish and campaign on dead space 2. :P

DEAD SPACE 2

The story is set on one of saturns rings (Titan) and is 3 years after the 1st game. Instead of wondering around a ship with small corridors and tiny rooms your in a new metropolis, a massive station home to hundreds. Apartments, malls and the really cool looking church of unitology house the action.

It turns out that the marker from no1 (the thing that makes them all turn into sadistic grusome monsters :evil: ) is actually man made and after destroyig the 1st one, our hero isaac is told he is the reason for the building of more! Needless to say his mission is to destroy them.

Currently halfway through chapter 3 and its every bit as good as the 1st.

Most of the old weapons are here from the 1st, but a new edition is the Javelin gun. It fires a spike that rips through enemies and can even pin them to walls. And thats before the 2nd function to electrify said spike for a bit of extra damage. :eek:

The lighting is REALLY IMPRESSIVE and the sounds will make you need a new pair of pants! :jaw:

For full benefit play in the dark with no-one around and preferably headphones on!

Multiplayer is good but not the best. harsh learning curve may put people off playing it but if played with friends on the same team it can be a lot of fun.

Overall 9/10. if just single player like the 1st it would of had 10 but they included a multiplayer thats not quite black ops or battlefield.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 (TDU2)

Bit of a oddball in the gaming world... "lets RPG a racing game"/"Remake GTA but your stuck in the car"

Still... a review:

Well, firstly your greeted with substandard graphics, Hello maxed out DirectX 8!

But if you think about the sheer scale of the maps you have to razz around, you can sort of forgive it. Plus it's not too realistic that it becomes impossible to understand what is happening on the screen, never mind play it!

The story lines are cheesy, the voice overs are half-arsed and the human model's mesh sticks through their skin... They put Treeman to shame.

(For the voices... Imagine an Indian immigrant trying to fit in, in a heavily gang controlled area, now stick a my-first-voice-over-job yank accent on that... see what I mean?)

That said, once you've ragged a car around for a bit, it gets addictive. Very addictive...

The only huge let down is that you can buy an Aerial Atom 300 Supercharged pretty early in the game, nothing betters it from then on. Any other car doesn't move nearly as satisfyingly nor handle as well.

I'd give it 7/10 - Worth buying, but needs work.

• 3 weeks later...

Dragon age 2

I have no idea what dragon age 1 was like but if this an improvement over the original then I wont be buying that either.

My missus bought it today for me as a birthday present, the store gremlin claimed the game was a "Oblivion like thrill ride"

£39 of bullshite I say.

the only similarity to oblivion is there's swords in it.

The maps are to linear, the fighting to restrictive, the interface overly complicated and awkward to use, storyline is dull, characters are mundane, plot is imaginative....basically everything that oblivion isn't.

Even if I didn't compare it to oblivion Id have to say this game sucks sweaty cheese flaked balls big time and the store gremlin best not be about when I take it back tomorrow (yes its that shite Im getting rid the very next day) otherwise Im gonna give the fecker a slap for blagging my missus into buying a over expensive piece of shite game.

break down:

Story: lacks excitement

Plot: doesnt encourage involvement

Maps: Restrictive and linear, absolute minimum exploratory options

Characters: Don't impact, unimpressive, lack development

gameplay: dull, unoriginal and overly complicated

overall: 2/10

right down their with 99nights & FF13

I would never recommend this game to anyone except imprisoned paedophiles as a form of torture.

• 2 months later...

took me a bit to get round to this but I hadn't used my xbox in a good few months (barring the rare 10 minutes here and there).

anyway........

MW2 Black Ops (I know its been out a while)

well.....

Ok so the few among us who have followed the MW franchise since it appeared have grown to love, hate then love the games again.

However, those same few know that Infinity ward (the creators of the previous two hits) has now bowed out the MW scene and Treyach has taken over the reins.

I wont say its gone totally wrong but....something definitely isn't working for me on this new one.

The weapons seem to have become less controllable or function realistically.

The movement of the game is sluggish and filled with moments of tedious boredom.

Character movement is unrealistic and very restrictive when attempting to move about the game area smoothly.

amongst the most noticeable back steps I can detect is the online multiplayer!

Where the previous two developed a system of gameplay online that offered the player a fair and fun experience all round this incarnation has none of that, weapon unlocking is performed through purchase and not earned advancement which makes them feel less special or encourage the player to progress along his/her online career.

The maps are utterly restrictive and instead of offering up a wider range of map types that suited varying weapons and tactics nearly every single one of the maps are only really suitable for a light weight sub machine gun setup that see's you running round every cramped map knifing or close range shooting your opponents (or in MW lingo "Rusher's loadout).

Im unsure whether Treyach have employed the same type of intelligent match selector that infinity used that makes sure that low ranking newcomers to the game don't get thrown in with every map memorized veterans.....but if they have its broke..... badly.

anyway (again).... Im bored so Ill wrap this up:

Game (local) 7/10

Matchplay (Xboxlive) 4/10 and Im being generous there

took me a bit to get round to this but I hadn't used my xbox in a good few months (barring the rare 10 minutes here and there).

anyway........

MW2 Black Ops (I know its been out a while)It's COD : Black ops, not MW, the MW breed are infinity ward games

well.....

Ok so the few among us who have followed the MW franchise since it appeared have grown to love, hate then love the games again. MW has always been loved, the treyarch games not so much, world at war, and black ops are the 2 recent COD games that are made by treyarch

However, those same few know that Infinity ward (the creators of the previous two hits) has now bowed out the MW scene and Treyach has taken over the reins. Not true, infinity are in the process of producing the next COD game, due for release this winter, IW and Trey take turns to develop the games

I wont say its gone totally wrong but....something definitely isn't working for me on this new one.

The movement of the game is sluggish and filled with moments of tedious boredom.

Character movement is unrealistic and very restrictive when attempting to move about the game area smoothly.

Where the previous two developed a system of gameplay online that offered the player a fair and fun experience all round Commando knifing is fair? How about noobtubes with the danger close perk? and the UMP45 with silencer which was waaay overpowered this incarnation has none of that, weapon unlocking is performed through purchase and not earned advancementYou have to unlock it at a set level, THEN pay for it with cod points, so if anything its more "earned enhancements" which makes them feel less special or encourage the player to progress along his/her online career.

The maps are utterly restrictive and instead of offering up a wider range of map types that suited varying weapons and tactics nearly every single one of the maps are only really suitable for a light weight sub machine gun setup that see's you running round every cramped map knifing or close range shooting your opponents (or in MW lingo "Rusher's loadout).I'll agree here

Im unsure whether Treyach have employed the same type of intelligent match selector that infinity used that makes sure that low ranking newcomers to the game don't get thrown in with every map memorized veterans.....but if they have its broke..... badly.

Game (local) 7/10

anyway........

well.....

Ok so the few among us who have followed the MW franchise since it appeared have grown to love, hate then love the games again.

However, those same few know that Infinity ward (the creators of the previous two hits) has now bowed out the MW scene and Treyach has taken over the reins.

Where the previous two developed a system of gameplay online that offered the player a fair and fun experience all round this incarnation has none of that, weapon unlocking is performed through purchase and not earned advancement which makes them feel less special or encourage the player to progress along his/her online career.

The maps are utterly restrictive and instead of offering up a wider range of map types that suited varying weapons and tactics nearly every single one of the maps are only really suitable for a light weight sub machine gun setup that see's you running round every cramped map knifing or close range shooting your opponents (or in MW lingo "Rusher's loadout).

Game (local) 7/10

I agree with this also taking into consideration your comments Craig855S. There is a MW3 on it's way coming out in Nov this year. Youtube can show you little snip its of the new game (that i heard was ready shortly after Black Opps) but unfortunately i'm not impressed. It say's that your a real soldier and the game runs in real time. You have to guard different areas including warehouses etc for hours at a time one of them being 18 hours straight.

I'm sorry but i'm the kind of guy that likes to stay awake in front of my TV when playing. It shows the soldiers talking about if they would sleep with the girl that was their favourite chick at school BORING!!!! :sleep:

Black Opps was a massive let down for me after MW2 was so good. I expected BO to be as awesome and wasted my time going to the Game shop at midnight the day it was released. It's doesn't play smooth and on the kill cam replays i find myself screaming at the screen in dispute of my thinking i shot him first. The replay doesn't even show me looking in the direction of my killer let alone that i shot 5 rounds at him!

In summary watching a load Americans talk while guarding a warehouse for hours on end errrr you won't find me rushing to the shop to buy it - will see what it's like before parting with £45 to be let down again.

In summary watching a load Americans talk while guarding a warehouse for hours on end errrr you won't find me rushing to the shop to buy it - will see what it's like before parting with £45 to be let down again.

just dont let on your english around them....... American soldiers like to shoot British soldiers

just dont let on your english around them....... American soldiers like to shoot British soldiers

I'm practically dying :roll:

anyway........

well.....

Game (local) 7/10

Strangely enough I actually prefer black ops to MW2. After MW1 I thought MW2 sucked ass. Didnt like/enjoy the levels. Single player was Sh1t! Usually COD games have great story mode but MW2 didnt. It was boring and even on hardcore.... Wasnt actually hard.

I have to say I did enjoy the story mode of black ops and thought it had a good choice of level types to keep it interesting. Also this is the 1st COD game I've enjoyed online! The thing with the weapons is that its more balenced now. Although you feel its undeserved, its a lot fairer. I used to hate getting owned by someone with a maxed out AK47. I play quite casual but get rapped because I dont play it 17 hours a day just to earn the best gear. At least now everyone can choose what they see fit as the 'best' weapon and battle now seems a lot fairer.

A few times I've felt hard done by when I thought I killed the other guy 1st but what you gonna do about lag. I never in all honesty had much of a problem with black ops lag.

A good solid 9 for me, but MW2 gets a 6. It just wasnt fun. :drunk:

• 4 months later...

DARK SOULS

Ive spent about 3-4 hours on it, havnt got very far and died a hell of a lot of times! ......... And I love it. I think they call it an action RPG. Not half as much chatting as fallout or mass effect, instead it concentrates more on letting you play....and die. Every time you die you go way back to a check point and have to re-do a whole section again. When you re-spawn so do ALL of the enemies. If you save at a bonfire (saving menu) ALL enemies re-appear. This is why you spend hours getting not very far but its great. Every time you die, you learn what to do do gt a little bit further ahead. Some Brilliant scenes/landscapes. Really interesting level design, lots of hidden doors, traps and enemies. Some really cool enemies, even if the keep capping your ass! Some nice combat without it being a button basher too. 10 types of character you can set up. A deprived person (wearing just a loin cloth and plank of wood for a weapon) to a knight or even a mage/pyromancer(if magics your thing)Not very far in but already i'd give this a 9 out of 10. With still plenty to see it could even be a 10. Some people will hate the challenge and the fact you die constantly, but if you like a challenge its great, not to mention really addictive! :thumb:

• 4 weeks later...

Game - Elder scrolls V: Skyrim

Publisher - Bethesda

game type - Mythical, Arcane, RPG

Graphics quality - Outstanding at both close and extended range

Playability - Outstanding

Re-playability - Very Very High

Ive anticipated this games arrival for a long time (since Elder scrolls IV - Oblivion infact)

I could go on for a age about why this game piisses all over everything out there at this very moment (I shiit you not RPG or otherwise imho) but Ill summarize.

MASSIVE landscape (all freely explorable at the players discretion)

Stunning visual presentations throughout the game (you can pretty much stand anywhere on the map and be awestruck by the vista's)

HUGELY customizable player game style (you wanna be a Assassin/Thief/Battlemage/Necromancer...... feckit, go for it)

Non-compulsory storyline (You decide when you want to progress through the game)

Exploring is no longer seen as a side line in the gameplay but now actively encouraged (and there's hundreds of locations to explore)

HUGE variety of enemies ranging from Rats, Bears , Werewolves, Vampires right upto to this games signature Dragons (all with their own individual specs and fighting styles)

hundreds of different weapons, spells, armour, powers and shouts (the latter will make sense when you play it)

character animation is both smooth and realistic i both player characters and enemies.

Landscape variations are common and realistic while the effect of passing from one to the other is gradual ad believable.

There's a dozen other excellent points but as this game is guaranteed to be the "game of the year" I seriously doubt this wont be the only time you hear it mentioned :pancake:

overall rating: 9.7 / 10

Edited by shawdreamer