which wax

bronze4door

my mk1 is in having some pain touched up on it and the whole car is going to be getting buffed before i get it back

to keep the car looking good and protect it i want to wax it but i dont really know where to start with wax's

i dont mind spending some money on decent stuff as i have ivested enough in the paint work so want to keep it in tip top condition

It tends to be a case of 'you get what you pay for'. Products like Autoglym and Turtle Wax are pretty good, you can't go wrong with them but in my experience you can't beat Dodo Juice. I bought the Blue Velvet and it's the f'ing mutt's nuts. I've tried just about everything you find in Halfords but nothing has worked as well or lasted as long as it.

It's usually about £35 for a pot but you can get 'sample' sized containers on ebay for about £7 which will be enough to do your care 2 or 3 times. I usually put a layer of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection over the top just to make it stand out.

For a car of your quality, if you dont mind spending a bit extra the only was to go for would be:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dodo-ju...remium-wax.aspx

or you can get it £30 cheaper in a plastic pot

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dodo-ju...-container.aspx

OR.. if you wanted to save a few pennies (but no tin the long run) you could get a panel pot

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dodo-ju...-panel-pot.aspx

sex in a pot! :)

cheers guys seems like a bit of a minefield of products out there but its worth it in the long run to protect my car

If you do it right with the supernatural range, your be laughing!

It's a bit more expensive but my god it's worth it! The shampoo is a pure concentrate so you only need a tiny bit.

And the yeti MIT, well, YouTube it! Lol

If it's being (buffed) I wouldn't bother with just a wax, what I'd do is apply a paint sealent first this will seal the paint better than something like dodo supernatural this is just a carnuba wax which won't last as long as a sealent correct method would be the following.

Finishkare fk1000p sealent

Finishkare 2865 pink wax

Finishkare 425 spray detailer

Not saying these are the products you should use but any sealents waxes will prolong the life of the paint, the above are the products I use, it down to personal preference and what works for you.

Be careful with waxing if there is any fresh paint going down. The wax will put a layer down on the paint that is not penetrative, so any gases yet to escape from the paint will remain and the best case is that the paint stays soft, worst case is that it reacts and needs repainting.

Waxes are a minefield, there is alot of variation in longevity which isn't necessarily related to price. For example, Collinite make a wax that is sub £20 and a single layer provides up to 5 months of protection where a boutique wax fails after 2 months.

There is also user style and preference to consider, along with price.

If you give us a budget and say if you prefer working with a soft or hard wax, or even sprays and then its much easier to make recommendations.

Just to clarify too, andyb isn't really correct when he says sealants are better than waxes as a huge amount of the result comes down to the users technique, especially when the sealant he mentions is applied very much like a wax.

when i picked the car up the pianter was just buffing autoglym extra gloss protection off it and i have since used meguires next genration tech wax 2.0

i am new to all this detailing but i'd like to keep a shine to the car and stop it from going dull as before it was buffed you could see where the paint work had lost its shine from leaning over the wings to work on it and where people feel the need to run there hands on it and lean on it

when i picked the car up the pianter was just buffing autoglym extra gloss protection off it and i have since used meguires next genration tech wax 2.0

i am new to all this detailing but i'd like to keep a shine to the car and stop it from going dull as before it was buffed you could see where the paint work had lost its shine from leaning over the wings to work on it and where people feel the need to run there hands on it and lean on it

If you really Want to know more about detailing which wax/sealents to use have a look on

DETAILING WORLD

You will find every thing you need on there and it's free to join.

• 1 month later...
Be careful with waxing if there is any fresh paint going down. The wax will put a layer down on the paint that is not penetrative, so any gases yet to escape from the paint will remain and the best case is that the paint stays soft, worst case is that it reacts and needs repainting.

Waxes are a minefield, there is alot of variation in longevity which isn't necessarily related to price. For example, Collinite make a wax that is sub £20 and a single layer provides up to 5 months of protection where a boutique wax fails after 2 months.

There is also user style and preference to consider, along with price.

If you give us a budget and say if you prefer working with a soft or hard wax, or even sprays and then its much easier to make recommendations.

Just to clarify too, andyb isn't really correct when he says sealants are better than waxes as a huge amount of the result comes down to the users technique, especially when the sealant he mentions is applied very much like a wax.

The reason it's applied like a wax is because, FK1000P is a good hybrid sealant hybrid as its paste like a wax as sealants are liquid but the FK1000P is made from synthetics which make it a sealant.