PS3 on PC monitors

caled

Just wanted to see if anybody is using their playstation 3 on a pc monitor, as opposed to a fully fledged TV.

My PS3 is currently hooked up to my TV, but its on pain of death should I try to play it whilst the soaps are on. So my other alternative is my pair of 22" samsung LCD monitors hooked up to my PC and I wanted to know, has anybody had any experience attaching their PS3 to their PC monitors?

Would also make life easier if I get hold of a wheel and pedals for some racing games, as Ill actually have somewhere to put them; which leads me on to my next question, does anybody use a wheel and pedals for their racing games?

I run a projector upstairs which is similar in that it connects up in a similar way (your monitor may or may not have the same connections as most, i dont know)

I have a component cable coming out of my PS3, into a 5 metre extension that takes it to a component to VGA adaptor and into the back of the projector, I run 720P and the component output also has a red and white audio which goes into the back of my amp.

As for wheel and pedals, I have them but dont have anything decent to mount them too, I run the wheel on an ironing board to play F1 2010 as IMO that game cant be played (well) with a pad, and I use the wheel on Gt5 for the very quick cars were precision is important (however trying to 3 point turn after a crash is made hard with the ironing board not being as sturdy as a table)

The monitors have DVI and VGA, so Im thinking a HDMI -> DVI cable and then use the audio from the RCA in to the PC sound card's inputs, probably the tidiest way to do it (and Ill more than likely have the PC on anyway, on the other monitor).

If you dont mind me asking, what wheel do you have and how much did you pay for it? Im trying to gauge how much the wheels cost, and if Im sat at my desk then wheels and pedals should be secure enough, its really bloody difficult keeping the car cornering consistently using the analogue controllers in NFS Shift. The price range in computer wheels is a bit daft, from £20 to £400 Ive seen so far, and I dont know how much is reasonable price...

• 8 months later...

Bit of thread digging going on, but I finally decided to take the plunge and A. buy a new PS3 that doesnt keep dying of YLOD (might sell the other for bits?) and B. get myself a logitech driving force gt wheel for the PS3 (from Gamestation, of all places, brand new for £80).

I'm just playing through NFS Shift 2 again (I cant help it, its brilliant), and my god, the steering wheel and pedals make it immense! SO much more fun than using a stupid controller.

Oh, I also did end up attaching the PS3 (both new and old) to my 21" LED monitor, via a HDMI to DVI cable, with sound coming out the RCAs and in to my PC. Not a bad set up, it has to be said. Still need to get hold of a DVI KVM/swtich. Any recommendations on that front?

Bit of thread digging going on, but I finally decided to take the plunge and A. buy a new PS3 that doesnt keep dying of YLOD (might sell the other for bits?) and B. get myself a logitech driving force gt wheel for the PS3 (from Gamestation, of all places, brand new for £80).

I'm just playing through NFS Shift 2 again (I cant help it, its brilliant), and my god, the steering wheel and pedals make it immense! SO much more fun than using a stupid controller.

Oh, I also did end up attaching the PS3 (both new and old) to my 21" LED monitor, via a HDMI to DVI cable, with sound coming out the RCAs and in to my PC. Not a bad set up, it has to be said. Still need to get hold of a DVI KVM/swtich. Any recommendations on that front?

don't buy a belkin one, I've had a couple and neither lasted very long