PS3 Fan mod

caled

I've had to fix my PS3's YLOD numerous times now, and Im getting a bit bored of doing it.

What I have noticed is that I don't think the fan/thermostat thingimajig is working properly.

Case in point, NFS The Run (which isnt brilliant, tbh); Start the PS3 and game. Goes through all the menus and setup - fans on quiet. Start a level, the rendered cutscene starts, fans still on really quiet. All of a sudden, fans go up to full whack and the PS3 reports that its too hot and needs to shut down. Which it does instantly. Restart the PS3, the fans come on fairly high speed, I'll let them run for a minute and then start the game. Just about manages to make it through the cut scene and then plays the 'races' fine.

Remembering the previous thread about fan mods, I see on eBay you can now get these for £20. Anyone got any experience of these? They reckon that it just ups the baseline fan speed by 40%, which whilst noisier is preferable to spending £190 on a new PS3 slim.

So, anyone had any experience of these?

personally mate i'd pay for a service to be carried out (ebay, £60) and for that they sort any problem you have ?(from bluray to YLOD to poor fan etc)

It may be something as simple as your thermal compound between processors and heatsinks being fucked, have you ever had it apart?

As a side note my fan goes to full speed on a regular basis these days when playing processor hungry games, but im not worried about it as it was serviced recently so i know the solder wont melt and the thermal compound is brand new

personally mate i'd pay for a service to be carried out (ebay, £60) and for that they sort any problem you have ?(from bluray to YLOD to poor fan etc)

It may be something as simple as your thermal compound between processors and heatsinks being fucked, have you ever had it apart?

As a side note my fan goes to full speed on a regular basis these days when playing processor hungry games, but im not worried about it as it was serviced recently so i know the solder wont melt and the thermal compound is brand new

£60? Hm... for a reflow or reballing?

New ones can be had for ~£180, including another wireless controller, so its a question of whether its sending good money after bad. I've reflowed the PS3 myself repeatedly, using fresh arctic silver 5 each time (and yes, it was applied correctly). Its the fan suddenly ramping up from 20% to 100% and then the PS3 instantly turning off is making me think the fan controller is fooked, which may be the cause of the YLOD in the first place.

I think Im willing to throw £20 at trying to solve this issue, but a third of the price of a new one? I might have a word in work, Ive seen all the kit Id need to reball the machine myself, just have to see if I could use it, and if I could get hold of the templates Id need.

Click

Please Include On A Note With The Console:

· The Issue/Problem With The Console

· Your Full Address And Contact Telephone Number

ABOUT OUR REPAIRS

We Are Based In The Northamptonshire Area If You Would Like To Drop It In Or Simply Post It To Us And You Will Have It Back Within Days Ready To Play! POST OR DROP OFF TO THE ADDRESS ABOVE.

We Reball & Reflow The Cpu, Gpu, Ram & Other Chips, This Means We Remove The Chips With Our Infrared Rework/Reballing Machine & Reinstall Them With New Solder, This Will Give Permanent Fix & Trouble Free Running.

We Also Completely Clean The Console Inside, With Our Air Compressor. This Gets Rid Of Dust & We Will Re-Oil Fans - All Free Of Charge With Any Of Our Repair Service, This Means Your Console Will Have Correct Airflow To Keep It Cool.

How Good Is That For Service....?

We Have Repaired More Than 500+ Ps3 Consoles.

For Whatever Reason You Are Unable To Send Your Playstation 3 Back To Sony Or If You Don’t Want To Pay £130+ And Wait Over 2 Months, Then Why Not Send It To Us.

If We Cannot Repair It, Then You Don’t Pay For The Repair - We’ll Simply Refund You. How Good Is This For Assurance?

On Top Of This We Give A 1 Month Warranty On The Repairs Carried Out *(Providing The Manufacturers Warranty Seal Is Intact), If It's Not We Will Still Fix It However You Will Not Get Any Warranty

Once We Get Your Playstation 3, It Will Be Fixed With 4-5 Working Days.

Your PS3 Will Be Sent Back To You Via Royal Mail/Parcel Force Insured. You Will Be Sent A Tracking Number To Check The Posting Progress To Your Email. Postage Return Cost £9.99 With Tracking Number Provided.