quick question regarding noise

shawdreamer

so Ive done the whole google thing searching for definitive answers as how to quieten down my old shape xbox elite.

unfortunately most of the jokers come back with the "if your console is to loud then turn up your tele volume" answer.

gee thanx alot lads..... now go die in a corner somewhere like a good little shite stain :rolleyes:

basically, I often use my livingroom 360 as a media player, streaming films stored on anyone of the multiple pc's and laptops dotted about the house to the tele in the livingroom, obviously its highly convenient to do so however there is nothing more annoying than coming to a suspenseful quiet moment in a film and all you can hear is the feckin fans going ten to the soddin dozen in the console.

so far Ive tried everything from having the console in a closed cabinet to using sound deadening feet and additional cooling fans at the back in a attempt to reduce the onboard fans load and hopefully their need to run...... pretty much everything short of opening the console up has been tried and had little effect.

I could swap it out with one of the other two 360's in the house, both of which are the newer version with the much quieter fans but given that the old one has lots stored on its HDD and the old HDD cant be used with the newer consoles that would mean Id have to feck about transferring data about I assume?

Id much rather do something with the oldun and as Ive seen a few console modders knocking about on ere I was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to minimize the old consoles fan noise?, maybe swap the fans out for another type? or even line the case with sound mat??

suggestions welcome! :))

advice considered! :pancake:

walkthroughs appreciated! :thumb:

dick'eds with "have you tried turning up the volume" answers ignored! :rolleyes:

Buy a little media streamer like I did yesterday.

I bought a little Roku box for £59 from Maplins, it's great, wireless and can stream tons of free media content from online sources.

For an extra £40 you can get the Roku 2 with usb connection, sd card reader and 1080p streaming.

You can add lots of channels and also private channels by getting codes.

No fans total silence and great wee control.

Edited by PeeWee

Buy a little media streamer like I did yesterday.

I bought a little Roku box for £59 from Maplins, it's great, wireless and can stream tons of free media content from online sources.

For an extra £40 you can get the Roku 2 with usb connection, sd card reader and 1080p streaming.

You can add lots of channels and also private channels by getting codes.

No fans total silence and great wee control.

yanno how I am with unfamiliar tech, took me feckin ages to get to grips with streaming to the xbox...........(think I even cried a couple of times)

Just how much is involved in getting it all setup and ready to go?

If you was to take the whole procedure to make the xbox do it as a benchmark.....is it easier or harder? more involved or a "plug and play" type deal?

In your case maybe more hassle.

Unless you get the Roku 2 and pop an external hd on it.

Mine, I stream my movies from another PC wireless

well that's basically what I do now with he 360, wireless streaming from any of a number of sources (my works laptop, the missus laptop, my sons laptop or even the desktop I bought off you)

does it not just work on the same principal?, eg you select a source from the Roku box thingie and it streams it from there via your own wireless network?

seems a bit pointless to add a HDD as I could just lob one of them on the livingroom tele as it is I think and wouldn't that ultimately mean transferring all the stuff that's scattered about on different pc's to one HDD.

I know I might be appearing a bit awkward ere but I enjoy the convenience of simply slapping on the 360 and having access to any source where ever it maybe about the house, if that Roku box can do pretty much the same thing without the incredibly annoying background hum from the 360's fans Id definitely be keen.......... (just as long as it doesn't make me cry to much setting it up)

Where's the quick question? If you don't summarise that you can Pee off :roll:

me angry at console!

me not like big noise from console!

me want no big noise from console!

me want fix noise!

UGG

......to many syllables still? :pancake:

Yes shaw it does just that, you dont move anything just run a host server on the pc with the films on and add the directory.

I will happily help you with it as I have just done mine.

Take a look here.

http://www.roku.com/uk

Did I mention there are some quite exclusive channels too lol?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/roku-lt.jpg

Edited by PeeWee

Did I mention there are some quite exclusive channels too lol?

sod off it hard enough hiding my subscription to Television X

.....and Essex filth burds TV

....and Doggers weekly

.....and 40+ Granny bangers monthly

.....Ive really got to cut back!