lost everything on my computer, need to get it back

MarkyMark

Evening all, its been a while and tbh i feel a bit cheeky popping back on to ask this but its an emergency. I've lost all my phots, work docs everything of my computer. Kept having trouble with it freezing whilst on eBay etc. Did a system restore last week and everything seemed fine. Went onto hotmail today and it wouldn't connect, google toolbar was there but not there if you know what i mean, tried downloading google toolbar but it wouldn't install, kept getting a box saying unable to install and prompting me to enable something, followed the instructions and it was already enabled. Tried another system restore but it wouldn't let me access it, couldn't access most windows stuff to try and find out what the problem was. So used the samsung recovery 4 system thats already installed on the computer, getting a bit desperate at this point as i had loads of work to complete which involved hotmail. Didn't read the recovery properly, just clicked go and its wiped my complete 'C' drive, i never backed it up and its took the computer back to day one. The whole family has been in tears over this as you can imagine there is about 4-5 years worth of family pics gone. Is it reversible in some way?? Are the files lurking somewhere on the hard drive?? or am i fucked and lost them all??

Cheers Mark

We've moved this topic into the correct section.

Hi Mark good to see you around.

It appears you have lost everything, why on earth did you not back up when you nearly lost it the first time?

When you say you have work involving hotmail?

your hotmail should be accessible from any computer online including any docs on hotmail.

I can never fully understand why people depend on one single copy of valuable pics relying on a hard drive, something that will eventually fail one day?

Edited by PeeWee

You're fucked, sorry mate.

I can never fully understand why people depend on one single copy of valuable pics relying on a hard drive, something that will eventually fail one day?

I had to have a conversation today with a woman who wanted a 2TB USB powered HD for all of her photos, docs and films for less than £120

I recommended one then said, 'you're buying two though, aren't you?' 8) Before explaining the premise of backups.

She has now ordered 2 x 1TB drives.

Obv no help to the OP. We've all been there though, Mark, and it'll be the last time you do anything like that, believe you me!

I had to have a conversation today with a woman who wanted a 2TB USB powered HD for all of her photos, docs and films for less than £120

I recommended one then said, 'you're buying two though, aren't you?' 8) Before explaining the premise of backups.

Obv no help to the OP. We've all been there though, Mark, and it'll be the last time you do anything like that, believe you me!

Thats what my dad said last night, lol. is there no software available that can recover it? would the computer have a 'ghost file' on the hard drive? how do the police recover evidence from peoples wiped hard drives? must be something out there that can recover it, like you say people do this type of thing.

Pete, the hotmail thing works, it was files on my computer i needed to use to be able send. As for back up, i never really use the computer for anything else but hotmail, evo, eBay and facebook. The computer is the storage place for photos, music etc, because of the limited use of browsing and getting something on it that could damage it i never really bothered, i've had it for years now and nothing like this has ever happened. It is my own fault because the recovery software would have let my just recover windows and leave all my files, just didn't read it properly. which is annoying me more than anything else, always tell the kids to do this. Should practice what i preach.

Cheers Mark

Thats what my dad said last night, lol. is there no software available that can recover it? would the computer have a 'ghost file' on the hard drive? how do the police recover evidence from peoples wiped hard drives? must be something out there that can recover it, like you say people do this type of thing.

With tens of thousands of pounds worth of equipment.

There are companies out there that might be able to help (as Stu has advised) but there's no guarantee they'll get anything and you'll be paying through the nose either way.

Im not sure what happens to the data on the hard drive when you reinstall windows but Id say as a windows reinstall takes such a short amount of time it probably doesnt delete the files permanently (however as you fill up the hard drive with new files those old ones will be lost forever gradually) so you may find that the files are still there in the hard drive (as ones and zeros) but the computer doesnt know or care that they are there, and without sophisticated forensic software you wont be getting them back, and if a windows reinstall actually zeros every part of the hard drive then they are gone forever even with forensic software

I'm sure when I've done a reinstall of windows in the past on my old PC I've actually found pictures and files I thought lost ... try this .. click 'my computer' ..local disc ..then user ..see if there is a list of users there ..if you search through them its possible you may find something