reducing atx pc case noise

shawdreamer

has anyone got any tricks or methods they lean towards when their trying to shush down their pc's general noise?

not a whim question.

Im upgrading my graphics card from my till now faithful little ATi-HD2400Pro to its much bigger monster gaming brother HD2900XT and the difference in sound levels has obviously gone up given the MASSOOF piped copper cooling array the XT uses and the "jet engine" like sound its fan makes at half-full tilt. (I shat myself when it went all out with the case side open :blush: )

dont wanna do anything too fancy (a few forums even suggested loosing the standard heat sink array and replacing the lot with a internal liquid cooled system that wont even produce a 10th of the fans noise but it seems a little OTT :huh: )

how about I just approach it from a more simple angle,

can anything be done to the case/chasis itself to minimize noise levels?, bit of high density sound deadening matt on both side panels maybe?.... is it even worth a try? :huh:

helpful suggestions and pointers appreciated as always people.

download a program called msi afterburner, it will allow you to manually set the speed of the fan on the gfx card. obvi reducing the speed of the fan will increase temps a little but a few degrees wont do it any harm. just play until your happy, its a super easy program to use, it literally needs no instruction

if ur looking to reduce the noise the computer on the whole, id recomend some corsair sp120 quiet edition fans and parhaps a fan controller. i use an nzxt sentry and i love it

you can also get antivibration pads for your fans. corsair ones have them as standard

cheers scotty.

my system as it stands right now is remarkably quiet so generally the noise levels aernt an issue until you add the new Gpu into the equation with its jet turbine like fan.

what I do have already fitted is a Lian-Li Multi-fan controller (which till now Ive only used to monitor various component temps... Cpu, HDD bays and Gpu) so I shouldnt have an issue adding in a couple of additional silent fans to supplement the Gpu's reduced fan speed (If Im able to get my head around that program you mentioned obviously :blush: )

Is any of this fan fiddling gonna place to greater risk on my new card though?

Giant tea cosy

Pros -

excellent sound deadening qualities (though I can only guess at the higher levels of Db displacement produced by a adequately layered tea cosy)

excellent "stealth" system potential (if you generally like rampaging through a blood soaked gorefest style FPS while having Sunday Tea with your Nana)

Cons -

Its a Tea Cosy (no seriously look.....its a feckin Tea Cosy!)

Both my Nana's were worm fodder years ago (MMMMMMmmmmm Worm Nom Nom)

Edited by shawdreamer

if the airflow through the case is quite good then no it shouldnt do, but as i said earlier, 6 or 7 more degrees wont make a blind bit of difference to the gfx card.

in a year or so if it was never cleaned, it would be full of dust and probs be about 10 degrees hotter anyway

i was going to suggest getting a quieter card? Your computer is only ever as quiet as the loudest component, in my case at the minute I have 1 corsair 120mm fan which isnt on the fan controller (NZXT sentry LX) and that is the only thing making an audible noise, all my other fans are at 5V and are near silent (need to replace my coolermaster sickleflows as they make a bearing noise)

Anyway, the GPU you've just added is 2007 tech, why you do dis??

My GPU is ancient but can manage BF4,F1 2013,all the need for speed games and batman games at 1080P looking better than they do on PS3 (and BF4 better than PS4)

There are probably cheap GPUs out there that are passively cooled that will outperform your old GPU, and consume less power, if not then look for something with a quiet cooler, ASUS directCU, MSI twin frozr, stuff like that.

Have you heard of the GTX750Ti??? Apparently that's a mental GPU, consumes no power at all, the fan never spools up no matter what you throw at it and im pretty sure its better than most second hand GPUs you can buy for the same money

The 7 series are great cards but it al comes down to what u use it for. I doubt shaw is super into his pc games otherwise he wouldnt ask these sorts of questions. So for him its far more cost effective to buy an older much cheaper card.

I use 2 asus gtx560ti's in SLI for my main rig atm and i cant fault them at all

my second rig houses 2 zotac gts250s in SLI

I doubt shaw is super into his pc games otherwise he wouldnt ask these sorts of questions. So for him its far more cost effective to buy an older much cheaper card.

spot on the mark there.

yes I could go buy a top of the range brand new Gpu but then itd likely outclass all the other components and become restricted by them, then yes I could then go buy a top of the range pc to go with my top of the range Gpu. but then Id have to ask myself.........why?....... Im never gonna use it to anywhere near its potential so essentially itd just be a giant waste of cash and circuitry.

Im an occasional pc gamer and on the rare times I do slap on a game its never something that demands massive amounts of graphics resourses (If I want to play the lastest fps or racing game I'll buy it for a designed for purpose console)

at most you catch me playing WOT, ELDERSCROLLS or various strategy games which the 2900xt and my quad core system easily covers.

Edited by shawdreamer