Mk5 lights and tailgate onto a mk6

Ex-Finesse

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finesse can you use a Mig welder? Cut the underlight bits off a Mk5 and just Mig weld them on. Would take approx 5 mins to do lol.

Nope, can't.

I saw they were welded on....... do you reckon it's possible to replace them without too much mess? IE affecting local paint? I'll then cover the whole car except these bits and repsray them. Just unsure if it could achieve anything like factory look quality X(

Would it be possible to just spot weld them in place? Just don't want a load of heat distorting the surrounding area / paint. I'd prefer to weld rather than fibreglass them in! 8o

I'm thinking I'll just cut and drill the metal work behind the lights. Ideal would be to weld in the mk5 metal work, but welding not an option! Think sorting the lower piece of metalwork will have to wait until I can get it welded in.

Ok, managed to go to the breakers Friday afternoon.

Bad news, the metal work underneath the clusters is part of the bodywork! Its not a little spot welded thing :(

A setback, just means will have to use more force! :O Will have to cut the whole section out, and weld it into mine! Goes over a join between the rear arch and rear panel 8o X( :D

dcp_2080%20(rs).jpg

Got a pic from the mk5 in breakers. Compare to vvvvvvv.............

DCP_2078%20(rs).jpg

:eek:

Bit of cutting here, bit of drillin' there..... and I'm sorted :drunk:

So I could have the tailgate and lights on in a weekend easily. But then my car wouldn't be able to have mk6 lights....... which it might need when the tailgate gets sent off for smoothing.

Tried to take the spoiler off earlier! No chance what-so-ever! Area which it is bonded on is massive. So, when other tailgate ready, will angle grind round it (ruin tailgate!) and then remake the very bottom of the spoiler to get rid of the metal.

Shame I won't have a mk5 clustered mk6 by end of this weekend...... but good things come to those with patience :) ;)

Will get on the blower to scuzzie's bloke for a price for smoothing. 8)

I'm getting bonnet / bumpers / doors and mk5 tailgate sprayed up this winter, will wait and do them all together! Also spray the welded in bits at the same time. :drunk:

Dunno what I enjoy more........ driving the car or this planning / modding :cheers: