Council Exchange

cossy

Wish the council would give me a bloody flat.

Isn't it ridiculous, I had to BUY ONE MYSELF. :rolleyes:

Dont get me wrong i dont like living in council property but i do pay full rent i am working and i am wanting to buy my own house but beggersa cant be choosers and all that and i hate being labled because i live in council property everyone has to start somewhere and this is where me and my family have started as i am sure there is a few people on here that started the same at least im not scrounging off the government and just sitting on my arse all day "Rant Over"

ahem, lol, i dont sit on my arse all day, i try EXTREMELY hard to get a job, im glued to papers, internet, job centre , connexions ect still no luck, and the job centre are soooooooo full of fooking Shite its untrue!! "were here to help u" yeah Fcuking right! they have given me 185jobs to go for! and 175 of those annoying people where taken when i called up :nutter: my rant over!

Rap up you clown. You spend half your day on EVO apparently. No jobs going here sonny.

I agree with Tom, really. I disagree with single people and couples being given council houses. Families only, and maybe the disabled if they're prevented from working(NO that doesn't include stress, depression or any other rubbish that 'prevents' people from doing a days work).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what Tom is getting at is......

people who earn fairly high money won't get a council flat, hence have to buy their own.

people with low income (you dont HAVE to be on low income these days), get a cheap flat handed to them, making it pretty likey they have more monthly DISPOSABLE income than the high(ish) earner.

Thats how I see it anyway.

explain that bit please fella?

ANYONE who is 21+ and who has a driving licence can go out and get a £2k loan, pass their HGV Class 1 and be on 25k+ instantly.

I think what Tom is getting at is......

people who earn fairly high money won't get a council flat, hence have to buy their own.

people with low income (you dont HAVE to be on low income these days), get a cheap flat handed to them, making it pretty likey they have more monthly DISPOSABLE income than the high(ish) earner.

Thats how I see it anyway.

ANYONE who is 21+ and who has a driving licence can go out and get a £2k loan, pass their HGV Class 1 and be on 25k+ instantly.

not as easy as you make out there mate, ive just turned 21 and that is maybe something i would be interested in, my dad used to do it between glasgow/london and i used to go with him alot when i was a kid, he said its a great job if u like your own company.

BUT in saying that ive been refused several loans because i have NO credit rating,aand that was smaller loans for college funding (another story).

tbh money isnt something that bothers me, im still young and i want a job that i'll enjoy. i'd rather have a job i liked at £15k rather than a job i hated at £20k, just now i live in a studio type flat where my bedroom is my living room and i stay with my gf. its super tight and the rent isnt exactly cheap but due to circumstances (no steady job for last few years etc) i wouldnt get a mortgage atm so i have to make do with this council flat. i probablypay more just now in rent than i would on a mortgage tho.

granted within the next 5 years or so im looking to actually go and buy my own house, but until then im happy where i am. maybe then money will mean more to me than it does just now but atm im happy with what i earn/where i live/my new job.

im not rich but i get by, i like the area i live although i wish the house had at least a seperate bedroom, and my new job has really pulled me up from the depression of constant rejection so i cant complain.

as to original post i feel its perhaps another silly thread.

tom - i think that was a bit ott and a little blinkered view mate, ive been brought up in council flats - which alot of times can cost more than a mortgage - and i personally dont see anything wrong with that. that doesnt make you any better than me because u have your own house where as i rent from the council, its simply different circumstances.

muzz - you do have a point mate, there are a million jobs out there. i was just fussy and wouldnt settle for something i didnt like (i have in the past and it was horrid) thats why i was unemployed for so long. i'm also looking into going back to college to gain some qualifications that will hopefully set me up for life.

I think what Tom is getting at is......people who earn fairly high money won't get a council flat, hence have to buy their own.people with low income (you dont HAVE to be on low income these days), get a cheap flat handed to them, making it pretty likey they have more monthly DISPOSABLE income than the high(ish) earner.Thats how I see it anyway.
not as easy as you make out there mate, ive just turned 21 and that is maybe something i would be interested in, my dad used to do it between glasgow/london and i used to go with him alot when i was a kid, he said its a great job if u like your own company.BUT in saying that ive been refused several loans because i have NO credit rating,aand that was smaller loans for college funding (another story).tbh money isnt something that bothers me, im still young and i want a job that i'll enjoy. i'd rather have a job i liked at £15k rather than a job i hated at £20k, just now i live in a studio type flat where my bedroom is my living room and i stay with my gf. its super tight and the rent isnt exactly cheap but due to circumstances (no steady job for last few years etc) i wouldnt get a mortgage atm so i have to make do with this council flat. i probablypay more just now in rent than i would on a mortgage tho.granted within the next 5 years or so im looking to actually go and buy my own house, but until then im happy where i am. maybe then money will mean more to me than it does just now but atm im happy with what i earn/where i live/my new job.im not rich but i get by, i like the area i live although i wish the house had at least a seperate bedroom, and my new job has really pulled me up from the depression of constant rejection so i cant complain. as to original post i feel its perhaps another silly thread.tom - i think that was a bit ott and a little blinkered view mate, ive been brought up in council flats - which alot of times can cost more than a mortgage - and i personally dont see anything wrong with that. that doesnt make you any better than me because u have your own house where as i rent from the council, its simply different circumstances.muzz - you do have a point mate, there are a million jobs out there. i was just fussy and wouldnt settle for something i didnt like (i have in the past and it was horrid) thats why i was unemployed for so long. i'm also looking into going back to college to gain some qualifications that will hopefully set me up for life.
well i got my flat just under a year ago after 5 years on the list we have a point system here dont know if its the same all over ie if your born here thats 6 points if you suffer any ilness more points ect
I think what Tom is getting at is......people who earn fairly high money won't get a council flat, hence have to buy their own.people with low income (you dont HAVE to be on low income these days), get a cheap flat handed to them, making it pretty likey they have more monthly DISPOSABLE income than the high(ish) earner.Thats how I see it anyway.
not as easy as you make out there mate, ive just turned 21 and that is maybe something i would be interested in, my dad used to do it between glasgow/london and i used to go with him alot when i was a kid, he said its a great job if u like your own company.BUT in saying that ive been refused several loans because i have NO credit rating,aand that was smaller loans for college funding (another story).tbh money isnt something that bothers me, im still young and i want a job that i'll enjoy. i'd rather have a job i liked at £15k rather than a job i hated at £20k, just now i live in a studio type flat where my bedroom is my living room and i stay with my gf. its super tight and the rent isnt exactly cheap but due to circumstances (no steady job for last few years etc) i wouldnt get a mortgage atm so i have to make do with this council flat. i probablypay more just now in rent than i would on a mortgage tho.granted within the next 5 years or so im looking to actually go and buy my own house, but until then im happy where i am. maybe then money will mean more to me than it does just now but atm im happy with what i earn/where i live/my new job.im not rich but i get by, i like the area i live although i wish the house had at least a seperate bedroom, and my new job has really pulled me up from the depression of constant rejection so i cant complain. as to original post i feel its perhaps another silly thread.tom - i think that was a bit ott and a little blinkered view mate, ive been brought up in council flats - which alot of times can cost more than a mortgage - and i personally dont see anything wrong with that. that doesnt make you any better than me because u have your own house where as i rent from the council, its simply different circumstances.muzz - you do have a point mate, there are a million jobs out there. i was just fussy and wouldnt settle for something i didnt like (i have in the past and it was horrid) thats why i was unemployed for so long. i'm also looking into going back to college to gain some qualifications that will hopefully set me up for life.
well i got my flat just under a year ago after 5 years on the list we have a point system here dont know if its the same all over ie if your born here thats 6 points if you suffer any ilness more points ect
o and if your female and have a child thats unlimeted points and jump the que,But in some rural places there are no jobs i use to peel spuds for a hotel 3 days a week for 5 hours a day £60 cash in hand but it payed for my tyres so i was happy

Guest gti.tom

I could write war and peace on this subject.

To start, there are loads of jobs out there. Just cos you dont really 'fancy it' is irrelevant. I would work any job rather than be unemployed.

Finding a job is not hard. You just have to compromise.

If you arent earning enough to afford to rent, work harder. Or, find a different job.

Why should I contribute £1000 a month in taxes to, amongst other things, housing others; why cant they rent someone within their budget and save up to buy. Everyone thinks the world owes them something.

You dont even need a deposit these days.

I work bloody hard to pay my mortgage. If I didnt own somewhere, I'd be renting.

I still fail to see why I should rely on the council to help pay for somewhere for me to live?

I work very hard, and pay a lot in living expenses, but someone sits about or works reasonably hard and gets given somewhere to live. :vangry:

If only we could rewind society 300 years. No council housing then chaps. Work or die. That simple.

I've been unemployed 3 months now... not signed on, jut lived on my savings... its easy to find a job... yeah if i wanted to flip burgers or stack shelves... but soul destroying jobs don't really do any good i'm currently going throught the selection process for an engineerin apprenticeship with centrica... one of 150 now down to 50 and i'll find out next week if i made it though to the next 14 before going onto the 6 who get the job... if i do i'll be setup for life.

i guess i share tom's view on paying taxes to support people in not much worse situations than me... i've worked the last coupl of years with a 109 tax code but still earning barely over minimum wage... that sucks i took home less than people working 16hours a week and getting benefits a lot less

I do work bloody hard i support my wife and 2 kids which 1 is a baby we moved to a place where we thought it would be a better life for our kids but how wrong we were we are in the process of wanting to move back up north where i can transfer in my job so i wont be unemployed i will still be working and then we are going to look into buying a house everyone needs a start in life and does it matter where that start comes from fair enough you feel be grudged paying £1000 a month in taxes but i also pay tax and i also pay FULL rent and FULL council tax along with all other bills and stuff..and i will tell you this now the rent isnt really that cheap i know houses that are cheaper to rent than our 2 bed flat that we live in so its not a case of us living in council and only paying £200 a month cos we pay a hell of a lot more than that

im not moving because i want a cheaper house i was just saying thats all the reason i want to move back up north is that we have left 80% of our family there and they are the family we are closer to hence wanting to move back thats what this topic was started for and has now been ruined when a new topic in the general section could have been started so if any mods read this can you please delete this topic cheers

I could write war and peace on this subject.

To start, there are loads of jobs out there. Just cos you dont really 'fancy it' is irrelevant. I would work any job rather than be unemployed.

Finding a job is not hard. You just have to compromise.

If you arent earning enough to afford to rent, work harder. Or, find a different job.

Why should I contribute £1000 a month in taxes to, amongst other things, housing others; why cant they rent someone within their budget and save up to buy. Everyone thinks the world owes them something.

You dont even need a deposit these days.

I work bloody hard to pay my mortgage. If I didnt own somewhere, I'd be renting.

I still fail to see why I should rely on the council to help pay for somewhere for me to live?

I work very hard, and pay a lot in living expenses, but someone sits about or works reasonably hard and gets given somewhere to live. :vangry:

If only we could rewind society 300 years. No council housing then chaps. Work or die. That simple.

tbh i think you're taking things a little out of context.

i work bloody hard to pay my rent, noone except me (and the mrs) pays our rent/council tax/bills so i dont see how me renting a place from the council is any different to you paying your mortgage (except you'll own yours someday). ive not been 'given' a place to live, i lived with my parents until i was 20, ive been on the housing waiting list since i was 16 so it took 4 years for me to be offered a house and even at that it was "oh heres a house, batter in". it was more "we have this house available for renting, rent is £x/month".

i dont know if things are different down south and that only unemployed people have council houses or what. only if i was signing on would i get my house paid for and at that it wouldnt matter if i was renting with the council or privately.

when i finally got this house i was actually looking to let privately just so i could take the 1st real step into the big wide world rather than living with my parents. so please stop looking down your nose at us who cant afford or cant quite reach - for whatever reason - the property ladder and have to rent.

Guest gti.tom

I have no issue with renting at all.

I rented.

I just fail to see why someone goes on the 'housing list' at 16, and then has to wait for a council house to be available.

If as everyone keeps telling me they're the same price or more?! than normal renting, why do you have to 'rely' on the council.

I would suggest council houses are somewhat subsidised.

I have no issue with renting at all.

I rented.

I just fail to see why someone goes on the 'housing list' at 16, and then has to wait for a council house to be available.

If as everyone keeps telling me they're the same price or more?! than normal renting, why do you have to 'rely' on the council.

my council house definately isnt, i pay £263/month for a studio type flat (livingroom and bedroom is one room, kitchen, and bathroom,) in adeck access building.

i was on the list from 16 because i knew itwould take a few years for a flat to become available. what exactly is 'normal renting'?

to me normal renting is a council house, up here its nothing to be ashamed about, 90% of people who dont have their ownhouse rent from the council, the rest pay extortionate rates to rent privately.

my cousins mortgage is cheaper per month than my rent, he has a 2 bedroom semi. but he's been in a steady job and had the same bank account since he was 16 (he's now 24) so he had no problems getting a mortgage, whereas i wouldnt have a hope at getting one, and thats not to mention a deposit.

tbh im relatively happy where iam just now, although before i turn 25 i would like to be living in my own home.

same here reid i would like to own my own home we where on our way to buying but thought we would make a move down south and regret it as we have left all our families up there and are desprate to go "home" as soon as we are back we will be looking to buy but like so many times when me and my wife have been to see the bank manager re a mortgage he has said sorry but you dont earn enough but i fail to see it that way like you said you pay more rent than your cousins mortgage and im in a fairly decent job i know i have just got it and that will affecet my chances of a mortgage but before we moved here i had a decent job but the bank kept saying the same thing i dont understand how people esp young people are supposed to get on the property ladder if we arent given the chance to get a mortgage and house prices are silly high i dont want to bring my children up in a scruffy chavy area as no one does so i would rather keep renting off the council till i find somewhere nice

We where offered are 1st council house after 7 years of waiting. And the rent is alot cheaper then our 2 bed flat we where renting for 7 years. Heres a few prices in my area, as we looked into every way of getting a house.

Its me (i earn 20k a year)

my wife (house wife now)

3 kids

so im supporting the whole family with my income. now rent wise in my area, not including the council tax etc.

our 2 bed flat was £512 a month

the 3 bed housing looking to rent privatly where £750 per month upwards.

and mortages we had calculated that we could have £85k, and a 3 bed family house is £185k upwards. so would need 100 grand deposit, im sure you can see it was never going to happen.

So we are luckly we got what we did, and i dont care what people think, I still work hard, and still pay all my taxes etc.

And weather or not is subsidised. i dont know, but i still pay towards it if it is.

What i do find really anoying, is singles getting a 3 bed house, or people who dont even both to get a job. I have been made reduntant before, luckerly i had savings at the and managed to get through for 3 weeks while i was out of work, but if it went on for longer, i wouldn`t be bothered going to tesco, stacking selfs etc, To me that way im still fighting for myself and earning money in, and not sitting on my ass.