Mk6 Diesel Tacho Upgrade Instructions

white_van_man

Ok had a couple of pm's lately asking for details on how to upgrade the diesel dash to tacho and upgrade to white dials, so here is brief guide of what needs doing.

Mk6 Diesel Tacho Upgrade...

Ok first up is to buy a td/tdi clock set (90% of these have the letter D on the tacho which makes them easier to identify)

1st option - Black dial TD/TDi instrument cluster...

this set is a straight swap into the dash, all you need to add is one wire... the wire needs to be run from the top (spare terminal) on the alternator up to pin8 on the blue instrument cluster connector* The wire can be routed up the inner wing and through the speedo cable grommet.

*best way to add a wire to this connector is to get a terminal with few inches of wire from the blue connector then open back of your connector and slot it in then join it to the wire you ran up from alternator. (pm me if you need a terminal for the blue connector i have a few here spare)

2nd option - White dial GTi/Si/RS clock set...

ok the ideal option here would be to find a white dial diesel cluster as fitted to some special edition td/tdi models but these are pretty rare so heres what you need to do..

buy a GTi/Si/RS white dial instrument cluster, then remove the tacho from the white dial cluster and the tacho from the diesel cluster, now you need to swap the white dial and red needle onto the diesel tacho and replace that into the white dial cluster.

then as in 1st option you need to add the extra wire from alternator to blue connector

pic of white dial dash in my tdi van...

dsc03856zf0.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of questions,

Is the D on the speedo above the needle?

Where on the alternator does it clip on, the top threaded bolt bit? I cant find another terminal

And is the connector easy to get out of the plug?

Just got a set of clocks on ebay, Wahey!

Is the D on the speedo above the needle? - on tacho.. its just by the centre of the needle

Where on the alternator does it clip on, the top threaded bolt bit? - yep thats the one

And is the connector easy to get out of the plug? - unclip the 2 tabs at each end of the plug and the back flips up then just push in the new terminal and click closed.

Edited by white_van_man

hi again steve, this is a terrible pic, not much access really unless i jacked the van up to get a shot from underneath, anyway here goes...

dsc04048jv2.jpg

so yeah its got plastic round it so looks like terminal A in your photo. how long did you leave it connected for? as it can take up to 10seconds from first time its started to kick the tacho into life.

also you def have a good connection to pin8 on the blue connector?

no terminal f is the connection for the dash (the bulb that comes on and goes out when you start) to say that alternator is working.

the tacho wire definately connects on the spare terminal, i would give it a try on terminal a again and see if it works, make sure to leave for few seconds and rev the engine a little to kick it into life should work then.

also the tacho works on variable voltage which is what the alternator puts out so you can't short it on the wrong terminal ;)

Edited by white_van_man