Amazed at what i heard today!

Gonzo0

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So me and my mate were just cruising round and decided to stop off at halfrauds and have a look at what they got. We got to the Exhaust tip section and joked about them until my mate said that my other mates exhaust isnt a backbox but just a ripspeed exhaust tip. I was shocked at this because it makes a lot of noise for an exhaust tip.
i can understand it ALTERING the sound but can't see it making the exhaust any louder, it's an impossibility ?(

So me and my mate were just cruising round and decided to stop off at halfrauds and have a look at what they got. We got to the Exhaust tip section and joked about them until my mate said that my other mates exhaust isnt a backbox but just a ripspeed exhaust tip. I was shocked at this because it makes a lot of noise for an exhaust tip.
i can understand it ALTERING the sound but can't see it making the exhaust any louder, it's an impossibility ?(

I know the one i got certainly did.

its not really a louder sound its more a change of exhaust tone that reverberates more than the original, least that was my observation.....also noted it didnt "warble" as stated(the wrx scooby noise kind)...it was akin to a rasp (cheap jap box) which also explains why someone keeps mentioning "induction sound"(btw induction sound generally comes from the front mate........were the induction pipe actually resides lol)....the mini baffles in the said tips pick up a slight whistle/whine at higher revs when fume passage is at its greatest rate

i suggested hammerite in an old thread rob but someone said they rot fromthe inside out

Only if your engie runs perfectly...which mine does. Pees water lol

Ahh well. The GTI ones are multilayered...so i have a good few years :unsure:

mine Pees water like a heavy duty factory air-con unit at full pelt lol (been lucky with my engine in this one)

my mate pointed it out"Lee youve got petrol pissing out your exhaust"

"no gary thats water vapour condensing...its perfectly fine"

"how can it be fine?....mine doesnt do it!"

"yes gary.........you drive a primera...... thats understandable mate"

I know the one i got certainly did.

How can it?.........the only way it can sound louder is by putting a hole in it, not ADDING something, if anything it'd be minutely quieter, simple logic.

........Again, i'm not disputing the fact that it would ALTER the sound,by making it more raspy/farty/tinny, etc,

ive got a tip ATM but want one of these ones,the theory behind them is sound,they act like a megaphone. Id love a backbox but only a certain size will look good and they have to be well hung/made or they look shite,so a tip is better, problem with a tip is u still have a mild steel box that will rust in a year or 2 so u end up paying a fortune over the years

ive got a tip ATM but want one of these ones,the theory behind them is sound,they act like a megaphone

'megaphone' is what they called old skool motorbike silencers...........i had 'DUNSTAL' reverse-cone megaphones on a Triumph Thunderbird...now they ARE feckin' LOUD due to being straight through pipes.

I later fitted one to my MG Midget,in place of the backbox and you could literally hear it for miles, but if you stuck one on the END of a standard backbox it wouldn't be any louder.............

Just bought one so will let you guys know what I think when I fit it this weekend! :thumb:

Did you buy the one i linked you to?

If so then cut your exhaust tailpipe just past the bumper so the tailpipe isnt in the way of any of the holes in the new tip. Attatch securly and fire the 'scort and listen to that burble.

Im going out now to do a quick video and will then upload so you all get an idea of what im on about.

Just bought one so will let you guys know what I think when I fit it this weekend! :thumb:

If so then cut your exhaust tailpipe just past the bumper so the tailpipe isnt in the way of any of the holes in the new tip. Attatch securly and fire the 'scort and listen to that burble.

Im going out now to do a quick video and will then upload so you all get an idea of what im on about.

What did you use to cut yours mate?

What did you use to cut yours mate?

Hacksaw round my mates. The noob didnt have a black and decker :angry: