Valve Caps Are Stuck!

wwwd

I stupidly bought some aluminium valve caps for my tyres (as my old ones were f*cked) and I've tried to remove them today but they seem to be welded on or something!

I've even tried getting them off with a pair of pliers, but it just turns the cap along with the valve tube!

Any ideas how to get these f*ckers off?! I need to sort out my tyre pressures!

get some grips on the valve then some pliers on the valve cap ;) happend with me a few times, stick a little copper grease on the threads when you refit them

I've been using pliers and the valve has been turning with the cap - can I actually wreck the tyre by turning the valve too much (and somehow cause a puncture?)

And what grips did you use on the valve mate?

i just used some long nose pliers on the valve its self and mole grips on the valve cap

its pretty hard to pull a valve out with pliers, its hard enough with a valve puller thats why most tyre fitters cut them out when putting new ones in

you wont get an air leak unless you rip the rubber round the valve to bits

Thanks guys.

Well I've finally managed to get them off! Had to get two pairs of pliers and hold down the valve while using the other one to twist the valve cap off - as bluliz said they had bloody fused themselves to the valve!

Put the rubber ones back on now so happy days.

I did damage the rubber bit of the valve tube though - how long will it take to know if I've actually f*cked up the tyre? (i.e. how long will it take to go flat?)

Edit: Just checked and some of the metal bit (on the outside of the tube, under the rubber) is slightly damaged too!

Thanks guys.

Well I've finally managed to get them off! Had to get two pairs of pliers and hold down the valve while using the other one to twist the valve cap off - as bluliz said they had bloody fused themselves to the valve!

Put the rubber ones back on now so happy days.

I did damage the rubber bit of the valve tube though - how long will it take to know if I've actually f*cked up the tyre? (i.e. how long will it take to go flat?)

Edit: Just checked and some of the metal bit (on the outside of the tube, under the rubber) is slightly damaged too!

pour abit of water on there see if any air is coming out, if not you should be fine, will only cost about £1-3 each wheel for a new valve, if you buy some of the bolt in metal valve they look better and metal valve caps don't seize to them :thumb: they cost about £8 to £20 depends on make and where you get them from, will cost about £5 to get them fitted at most tyre fitters

lockwood sell theft proof ones about 20 quid quite expensive to start with but they will never get nicked a* product only come off with a special key, well made as alwys with lockwood sell at motorworld

Special key? you mean an Allen key.....

Nah! iirc rob the cap just spins round if you try to remove in unless you use the provided key that locks it in place letting the actual cap move.