Focus Question

Trig

I have in my possession a 1.6, T reg focus.

There is a rattle coming from the top end of the engine. On a silvertop, the problem would be a knackered tappet/lifter that wouldnt fill up, but this engine (Zetec se, inlet at the front, exhaust at the back) has solid lifters, So I wouldn't have thought it would be the same problem.

Does anyone have any experience of these engines and this problem and could maybe give me some idea's? Same thing happened to a friends Puma but he cant remember everything that was replaced on it. to sort it out.

I have in my possession a 1.6, T reg focus.

There is a rattle coming from the top end of the engine. On a silvertop, the problem would be a knackered tappet/lifter that wouldnt fill up, but this engine (Zetec se, inlet at the front, exhaust at the back) has solid lifters, So I wouldn't have thought it would be the same problem.

Does anyone have any experience of these engines and this problem and could maybe give me some idea's? Same thing happened to a friends Puma but he cant remember everything that was replaced on it. to sort it out.

is it definately a rattle? if it is just try holding different bits or leaning on parts and see if anything stops it (that is while the cars not moving if you can).

i thought i had a rattle but it was actually the power steering fluid just low. was the sound of lots of air being squeezed out but sounded like a faint rattle.

poke your ear around in there sometimes helps. :thumb:

its a cam related rattle, its very distinctively coming from the top end of the engine, the rate of the rattle increases with the revs of the engine, which leads me to think it is valve/cam/lifter issue

I reckon just from what you said; that it would be a Cam follower. These wear out like everything else.

If I were you - I would take the head off and rebuild (new valve stem oil seals, re-lap the valves, etc etc). But I love doing things the hard way!

I reckon just from what you said; that it would be a Cam follower. These wear out like everything else.

If I were you - I would take the head off and rebuild (new valve stem oil seals, re-lap the valves, etc etc). But I love doing things the hard way!

funny you say that. the head is off, stripped down, and ready to be cleaned.

I cant see anything obviously worn out, but the car did develop the problem just after beinf held around the 6000rpm mark for around 3 miles.

Ii I need to I will replace the valves, but they look fine and all the valve springs are still in one piece, so I think its either a buggered follower or worn cam, but there isnt obvious signs of either

Did it burn fuel before you took the head off??

have you checked for play in the valves??

burn fuel? yes, oil, no.

Play in Valves, there wasnt any, pretty tight in the guides, nothing unusual

Have you measured anything trig?

not yet, only finished taking it apart last night, I just wondered if anyone had encountered it before and could give me somewhere to focus on