For fear of sounding a n00b

andre88uk

I use the poor boys range to very good stuff i try to wash my car once a week and once a month i get the valeter in work to give it a show valet and he uses autoglym

ive been using poor boys nattys blue wax on mine,gives an excellent shine(even though its for darker coloured cars,bought it for my black gti)

not sure how this is detailing and not actualy cosmetic... its like the diffeence between makeup and applying makeup...

Its detailing simple as that, taking care of your paintwork whether it be a wash or full go over its still classed as detailing hence a seperate section to keep it out of the main cosmetic queries such as bodykits & such.

Also have a look over at here for serious advice on your cars paintwork.

clicky

Washing up liquid is not the stuff to use to clean your car, sponges do as much harm as they do good.

I dont have an extensive kit at all, just a few good products and some patience. I have:

Lambswool mits (2 for £12, each one will last a good 6 months, goes a long way to reducing swirl marks in the paint work)

2 buckets (one for shampoo solution, one for rinsing the mit)

Megs Shampoo (Massive bottle for £15, about 4 litres of the stuff, miles better than AG shampoo and better value)

Drying Towel

Clay Kit (I bought the megs quick clay kit before FITP 07 and I still have a full bar left to use)

Microfibre cloths (I get great value packs, 24 for about £9)

Applicator pads (for putting on the AG Super resin Polish)

AutoGlym Super resin Polish (good polish, on offer every so often at 100% free, so stock up when it does)

Megs #16 Mirror finish glaze (only about £14, fantastic shine, not as durable as other's though)

All that cost about £90 in total, but I reckon I will get over 12 months out of the shampoo and polish, the clay will probably last another year, the megs #16 will last a few months, probably 8-9 months. So all in all, Its pretty good value and I get a fantastic finish for a few hours work.

this is what i use

bucket of warm water with hair shampoo (tescos own) or cheap baby bath £1

one of the fluffy sponges

cheap bathroom towels from matalan or where ever the sales are on

a good hood cleaner renavo

AG bumper black on the roof

AG paint restorer is it needs it

then MER Polish has i find it lasts a long time

you do know that you should wax after polishing. When you polish, it preps the surface of the paint, it gives the paintwork a gloss but it needs sealing in with a wax. Most polishes have an abrasive and fillers in that smooths out the surface and fills in fine scratches. Once that has been done, you protect all your hard work with a wax, or it is a bit of a waste. Edited by Trig