Engine bay detailing

eldarto

Right i want to spruce up my engine bay and i thought i would start with the rocker/cam cover by spraying it.

Do i have to use the (limited in colour) engine laquers that so many places sell or is there another route i can take to gat my own unique colour?

Basically i need to protect the finish from heat but not too sure how to do it without using the special heat resistant paint.

Has anybody done this? or had it done? or know how its done.

please help!!!

I used some gunk to get rid of the oil then a wire brush, then some emery paper, then primed it with halfords primer......then emeryed it again, then primed a few more times, the halfords amparo blue(a few coats) then some silver paint on the embossed lettering. Then a couple of coats of halfords lacquer. Its been good for about a year so far :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found brake cleaner to work better than gunk. The final clean should be soapy water finished off with clean water. If you use wire wool, make absolutely sure that all traces are removed from underneath the rocker cover before you fit it back. Take off the baffle plate as well and get rid of any remnants of it there too.

Also, do as the others have said and make sure you use an aluminium primer.

How did you all deal with the groove that gets rubbed into the metal from the throttle cable? Was thinking about using a special metal filler but got no experience of these yet.

How did you all deal with the groove that gets rubbed into the metal from the throttle cable? Was thinking about using a special metal filler but got no experience of these yet.

Hey you stole my next question!!!

You gotta love Ford though "I can't think of how to mount this bit of cable properly, out of the way, that stops it from rubbing on any other component.... F*** it i'll just put it here. That should save a few pennies and keep the bean counters happy"