Wax setting solid

cherrybeard

Hi there, i wax pretty often and have experienced the wax setting pretty hard in strong sunlight in summer and it being a pain to buff off. However last week, in overcast and not particularly warm or cold weather, i couldnt buff it off for the life of me! It definitely wasnt too hot or cold but i just coudnt seem to shift it! Few inches at a time i could get it off but obviously you cant put outstanding pressure on the paintwork! Any other reasons why this happens?! Usually wipes straight off!

No, apply to whole car in one go. Takes about 10 mins i suppose and then i go back to the start and buff off in the same order. Im never really sure how long to leave it to be honest. Also, each new panel gets a 50p size of paste/wax/spray or whatever im using. Is this too much?

I could try the 'one panel at a time' method if you think that would help?

No, apply to whole car in one go.

Theres your problem, not the way to wax a car imo, one wing then buff off. It will take a bit more than 10 mins to cover all the paint on the whole carwith wax & by the time you get round to buffing the final panals ill hazzard a guess its about 20-25 mins at least since the wax was applied.

Theres your problem, not the way to wax a car imo, one wing then buff off. It will take a bit more than 10 mins to cover all the paint on the whole carwith wax & by the time you get round to buffing the final panals ill hazzard a guess its about 20-25 mins at least since the wax was applied.

Not necessarily Pete, depending on which wax Im using depends on my method. The key is thin layers, really thin, and you do need to leave a little time for the wax to bond to the paint before you buff it off.

Also, if you are struggling to remove the wax then give it a quick spray of quick detailer to help shift it

Not necessarily Pete, depending on which wax Im using depends on my method. The key is thin layers, really thin, and you do need to leave a little time for the wax to bond to the paint before you buff it off.

Also, if you are struggling to remove the wax then give it a quick spray of quick detailer to help shift it

Hence my unanswered question on selected wax & yes of course i meant for it to settle before buffing but it just gives me more time to assess the buffing off time rather than getting to the end & finding stubborn wax.

Never done more than a panel at a time though, might give your method a go Trig doing thin layers.

I use either megs gold class, turtlewax ice or 3m imperial hand glaze (really good stuff but not very durable as its not a wax as such).

It only takes 30 seconds or so for each panel to 'wipe' it on, straight lines from top to bottom and overlapping very slightly so that every inch is covered. How many times do you normally go over the panel when your applying it?

Trig, do you mean more than one thin layer? If so, how long after would you apply the second and subsequent layers? If its over the course of more than one day then i assume i would have to do a quick shampoo rinse beforehand?

Ive actually called the manufacturers of 3m and turtlewax to ask questions like this and which products can be layered on top/underneath but they dont seem to know anything about their own products and keep telling me to call the 'other' manufacturer and ask them instead! Not much of a technical hotline really.

just one thin layer, really thin, like barely hazing thin. That will put a layer of protection on it. You can layer waxes up, the time between layers is dependant on the product, usually you can get away with an hour between layers, e.g. thin layer on, 20 mins later buff off, hour later another thin layer, 20 mins later buff off. Even with a low quality wax that should see over a months worth of decent protection

if you leave the next (or subsequent) layer(s) till the next day then a quick rinse and dry is needed.

hi there as a professional car valeter i use alot of different wax's and polishes.

i know what you mean with it setting very strong, the best way to solve this problem ive found is to use the polish sponge or motton cloth you used to apply the polish, make it a little damp and apply a bit more polish to the cloth/sponge and re apply to the area and buff off straight away, i usually police in panels, unless the car is badly faded in which case i buff with some g3, put MER on the whole car, then apply a second coat with a damp cloth/sponge and buff off straight away, the shine you get is amazing!! i also use meguairs 3 stage which is fantastic stuff however i only use this on my own car at the minute due to the cost of it and the amount of time i take doing it.

as on a executive full valet i remove all wing mirrors, lights, wheels etc and polish all the edges perfectly and polish inside and outside of the wheels. If anyone would like any tips at all just ask.

cheers demondriver, will probably have to call on you at some point. g3 is good stuff, have only used it by hand though.

I have found that if the cloth/sponge you use to buff off with is at all damp or picks up a few droplets of water, then it just wants to smear the wax about and makes the job twice as long. Do you mean use a damp sponge ONLY when you are applying the second coat? I use a damp cloth to apply the glaze (and possibly polishes beforehand), but waxes i always use them little round applicator things dry!