Need some detailing advice

TommyT

OK, want to get into doing a bit of detailing on my car. Just want to make sure what I'm doing is right and if anyone has any further advice or comments. Here's what my method is:

Rinse with hose

2 bucket method with cheap turtle wax shampoo using sheepskin mitt and grit guards

Dried with microfibre towel clicky

Meguiars smooth surface clay kit using Megs detail spray clicky

Megs cleaner liquid wax clicky

Auto Glum super resin polish

Chemical Guys blitz spray sealant clicky

Doing the wheels with Bilberry wheel cleaner and some cheap back to black tyre aerosol. Windows done with windolene lol

Got my snowlance on order so would assume that i do that before washing with 2 bucet method but will look into it in more detail when it comes.

Edited by TommyT

snowfoam the car before anything, leave to dwell for between 5 - 10 minutes, typically citrus de grease the lower half, rinse off, wash tbm, dry, clay, wash, dry, pre wax cleanser, wax..... done

• 2 weeks later...
Buy some megs APC.

Amazing stuff for doing details.

or get supermarket own brand, not quite as good, but loads cheaper.

You will only need to clay it once a year, maybe twice. If you are going to use SRP, personally I wouldnt bother with the cleaner wax. Make sure you work the SRP in well, its a great product and provides a bit of protection too.

• 3 weeks later...
how do you stop it smearing when you buff it off ? :unsure:

How are you applying it Hezz, and how are you buffing it off? :)

applied with a megs applicator pad, buffed off with a megs microfibre or megs terry towel :)

this is the megs paint cleaner i'm having trouble with, sometime the megs spray on nxt wax too. dont have any bother with the mer polish i put on between them too :)

:cheers:

how do you stop it smearing when you buff it off ? :unsure:

How are you applying it Hezz, and how are you buffing it off? :)

applied with a megs applicator pad, buffed off with a megs microfibre or megs terry towel :)

this is the megs paint cleaner i'm having trouble with, sometime the megs spray on nxt wax too. dont have any bother with the mer polish i put on between them too :)

:cheers:

Sounds like you're applying it right.

With the paint cleaner, apply it, and work the product in, don't just leave it on and wait. Work in circular and horizontal / vertical motions, then wipe away excess.

NXT wax should be left on for some time, then buffed off when it's hazed. :)