Cleaning my car

MikeM

Hi people need some advice I have looked through some other topics but just want to get a few pointers and help with what im doing

Right my routine

Rinish car

Wash with autoglym body shampoo (2 buccket method)

Rinse

Dry (Megs drying towel and micro fibre clothes)

Polish with Autoglym SRP (using microfibre clothes and pads)

Does that sound ok to you guys?

Im also looking to remove my swirl marks Seen some polishers on ebay eg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KESTREL-TOOLS-240v-D...%3A1|240%3A1318

Seem to get a fair bit with that one Anyone recommend any? and anything else i will need? Thought about using Poorboys SSR1 with a machine to remove swirls? Will i need to polish after using poorboys then wax the car?

Also seen this clay stuff? Megs quick clay? What will i get from doing this to the car? Will it help remove swirls etc?

Or if anyone can recommend some products and stuff too use that would be great

Edited by MikeM

Mike, the current process you have is great, only thing I'd add is to clay it, and protect it (probably with EGP, then a wax)

Clay kit is 100% worth it, I'd go for Bilt Hamber Auto clay. This doesn't remove swirls (as that's removing clear coat), but it removes bonded contaminants, such as bird muck, tree sap, tar and other foreign bodies.

That DA is a great bit of kit. If you bought that kit, read some DW guides to see how it's done.

If you use a heavy compound, this will need to be refined with a finishing polish. Then protected with a wax / sealant.

If you don't buy a machine, I'd continue to use SRP, working in the product at about 1' x 1' square, dont use too much product, and this will fill swirls.

Then protect it with EGP, and a wax. (I'd go for collinite 476s in the winter)

Look on DW at the traders for more products.

^^ SRP will fill the swirls but will gradually go away and need SRP again

i would like to know if its only machine that removes the swirls as seen some sonus stuff mean to be able with hand?

also how hard is it to get used to a machine as mine is a 4 stage custom paint and dont want to mess that up if i tried :roll:

i hear that a dual action machine is easier and ideal for beginners over the rotary one few good ones on ebay with most stuff you need

You can remove swirls by hand, but it's a hell of a lot of work. Scratch X would be a good start, using small areas and quick polishing. Menx 106FA can also be broken down by hand.

SRP will only fill swirls, and will eventually need reapplying, but it offers great results.

Inevitably though, bad swirls will only be removed by machine.

The Ketrel DA is a great place to start :)