ipod to pc ?

DJ

the mrs got an ipod from her dad for xmas and hes put a selection of movies on and i want to send them to my pc.

ive got the cable and it registers when i connect it up but when i open view files the films arnt there, what software do i need to download to transfer the movis to my laptop?

I've just got an iPod and have'nt tried taking stuff off to the pc yet. But I assume its the same for when you put the files on the iPod. Click on a file so its highlighted, then drag it to the library folder which is near the top in iTunes. I assume it should work and copy it to the pc. Like I said, I've not tried it yet.

I've just got an iPod and have'nt tried taking stuff off to the pc yet. But I assume its the same for when you put the files on the iPod. Click on a file so its highlighted, then drag it to the library folder which is near the top in iTunes. I assume it should work and copy it to the pc. Like I said, I've not tried it yet.

ohhhhh right, i havnt got an ipod menu that comes up,is this what i have to download?

thank you mrs "i am the oldest female but not THE oldest on here" :pancake:

I'm pretty sure you can't transfer videos/music from an iPod to a PC.

What usually happens is you download iTunes to a computer, and then add videos/music to the iTunes programme. Then you connect your iPod to the PC and it will automatically 'sync' the data on the iTunes to your iPod. The only way you can add/remove music and videos to your iPod is to add/delete files from your iTunes programme, and then connect your iPod to your PC and it will register the new changes.

If you download iTunes to a new computer and connect your girlfriend's iPod to it, you will wipe the iPod as the new iTunes won't have any files on it.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know (and I've had several iPods in the past), you can only have one PC (with iTunes on) for one iPod.

correct me if im wrong, but if he has put the films on the ipod from his computer, you cant get them off, its the crappy ipod copying/sharing rubbish, i.e you cant transfer music, videos etc from pc to pc, only snyc to another computer, which means deleting everything your ipod has and takes all from the new computer, which means you cant go to your mates and add all his songs to your ipod aswell as your own songs, its only one or the other,

unless you download straight off itunes on the i pod itself, in which case it will alway be on the ipod no matter what computer it is sync'd too.

You can take them off buy syncing the ipod to your computer via itunes on your pc (which doesnt have the films), but as the films were from a different computer you cant keep them on your pc once you sync it to your computer,

the films would be lost as they wont let you swap them from cmputer to computer, but instead you would get pics and music off your computer instead?

its hard to get your head around but easy enough.

Simple terms are, you can only have music and films etc off one computer at a time

You can take them off buy syncing the ipod to your computer via itunes on your pc (which doesnt have the films), but as the films were from a different computer you cant keep them on your pc once you sync it to your computer,

the films would be lost as they wont let you swap them from cmputer to computer, but instead you would get pics and music off your computer instead?

its hard to get your head around but easy enough.

Simple terms are, you can only have music and films etc off one computer at a time

i think i know where you coming from Terry.

i will send her round to her dads to sort it out then cos it was all set up on his PC.

thanks for the help Gang :cheers:

Add them to the library and sync it is all (file > add file to library)

:unsure: lost me already :rolleyes:

how can i add them if they dont come up on the screen?

Sorry for being vague I miss read and through you had already installed Itunes.

you just pretty much add the file into your library (file > Add file to library) and synch the Ipod to itunes.

The file may also need to be re-encoded depending on the file format to a compatible format

Does the video need to be encoded in a special way?

iPod can play the following video formats:

* H.264

File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov

Video: Up to 768 kbits/sec, 320 x 240, 30 frames per second (fps), Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3.

Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, and stereo audio.

* MPEG-4

File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov

Video: Up to 2.5 Mbits/sec, 480 x 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile.

Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, stereo audio.

Taken from this link which gives further frequently asked questions on playing/syncing movies to the Ipod.

Apple Link