Motherboard/CPU buzzing

mykez69

ok i am at my wits end, pulled out my old motherboard, hey presto, something buzzes,,,,,,my pc is A* silent pretty much apart from this foooking buzzing which drives me nuts,

i have my setup laid across the desk at the moment, so i can try and pin point where this buzzing is coming from

it isn't fans, 100 percnt certain of that, and the buzzing isnt coming from the power supply,

its like it is coming form the CPU, or near the CPU, something on the motherboard?

helppppppppppppppppppp

+1 At the Cap.

If it is, you can either remove the solder thats holding it in take cap of and replace with a new cap.

OR...

Buy a new mobo for £30 lol :P

Does any of the caps look like the ones being pointed to on this pic, if so then replace caps or new mobo

http://www.asti-usa.com/support/appnotes/65/2.jpg

+1 At the Cap.

If it is, you can either remove the solder thats holding it in take cap of and replace with a new cap.

OR...

Buy a new mobo for £30 lol :P

Does any of the caps look like the ones being pointed to on this pic, if so then replace caps or new mobo

http://www.asti-usa.com/support/appnotes/65/2.jpg

ive never come across a pcb buzzing because of a blown capacitor, and even if one is blown, theres normally a reason for it (such as a voltage rail gone mental), so 9 times out of 10 itll blow again.

have you tried assembling the pc out of the case as it might have something to do with the chassis? if you try this, make sure you assemble it on some wood or board tho!

robexor, thats brilliant, i shall check it out in a bit, thanks matey

eetaylog the pc was assembled across my deck, with no case, to pin point where the noise is coming from and its coming from the area of the cpu,

since cpu's dont make noise, its got to be the caps,

if im to replace theses caps, are there different ones or something? or are all the caps the same

if im to replace theses caps, are there different ones or something? or are all the caps the same

there are different voltage and capacitance ratings but make sure you pick the same value as the one thats gone otherwise you could end up with it blowing again. if you do find that one of the caps has blown, let me know the values printed on its side and ill stick one in the post for you (i work as an electronic engineer so have gazillions of them here).

if you do end up replacing it, make sure firstly that you solder it back in the right way round as the type used on motherboards are mostly polarised, and secondly dont lean over it when switching the board back on because theres a good chance itll blow again and youll end up with a face full of electrolyte.

good luck