ethernet card ??

DJ

right this should be fun :rolleyes:

i know absolutly :censored: all about computers soooooooooooooooooooooo here goes.

my mate at work has given me a pc. monitor,hard drive,keyboard,mouse.....the lot.

ive set it all up in my front room and its all workin fine. i originally got it just to store all my pics,videos etc on as the laptop cant store much more :rolleyes:

ive now decided that i might aswell use it for the internet aswell.

it seems to be an old system as its still got windows 98 on and ive been told i need an ethernet card for the back of it as its only got a dial up connection on it.

i need to know what i need to tell you lot to find out what equipment i need. (pc model etc)

im proper gonna have to be walked thru this so please have some patience :nutter:

If it's too old it won't really be useable on the web.. modern websites have too much going on in them that cripples older machines.. do you know the hardware spec?

If it has PCI slots just pick up an Intel Pro100 or 3COM 3x905b type card.. both are well supported, although you may need drivers for win98.

ive never known a pc to not have pci slots :S

http://www.yesterpc.com/Hardware/ISA%20motherboard/IBM%20XT/slideshow/IMG_3592.JPG

:)

You are assuming he has PCI slots & does it work on 98?

PCI slots? are they at the rear and look like little drawers?? :rolleyes: there is a space where it looks like something can go in.

No, you need to look inside the computer really. PCI slots are typically white. Like here :-

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/markn26/squidoo/motherboard-parts.jpg

Edited by Stu

ive never known a pc to not have pci slots :S

You havnt lived young mike lol, the windows98 bit means it is very possible it doesnt, not 100% though of course.

well i can honestly say iv never had windows 98 lmao

before my time this one then i think lol

carry on oldies :D

could very well have AGP..

ID say chuck the system on ebay and spend the money on a basic XP build (u can build a basic system that is capable of browsing the net and watching some movies on for little over 100 quid)

Accelerated Graphics Port?

That wont help him source a slot for an ethernet card though. :rolleyes:

You possibly mean ISA slots craig, these were commonplace before (and after for a time alongside) PCI slots.