CHKDSK when booting

eetaylog

The last couple of days, whenever i boot up my server, the boot always seems to CHDSK my RAID array that ive got installed (goes to bluescreen and then performs the 3 stage CHKDSK). It always checks out fine, but its annoying because it now takes twice as long to boot up.

Its currently running a basic AMD sempron CPU, 1Gb RAM, Gigabyte mobo, 80Gb system HDD & 2Tb (4x500Gb) RAID0 array using a software based PCI card, and it gets woken on LAN when needed by any of the other pc's in the house.

Ideas anyone? could it be a disk in my RAID array on its way out?

Edited by eetaylog

It's marked as dirty, have you tried running
chkdsk X: /R

see if that comes back with any errors, the other way to remove the check from that particular drive is:

chkntfs /X X:

in command line?

tired getting rid of the sempron?

no i havent, i dont think its a cpu issue.

Yeah, depending what OS you are using you will need to run that as administator too.

XP. im definately wondering whether its a disk issue though as the films ive got stored on the raid array have started to stutter occasionally when waking on LAN. like a d*** head i set it up as RAID0 as well, so no recovering from disk death-age ;(

just do a disk error check as mine got rid of this!

rightclick on the drive-properties -tools and error check! will make it disappear!do it for all drives that get scanned on startup

i already did an error check on the array, and theres obviously no errors on the drive but its still happening. ill try stu's command line suggestion ^^ tonight and see if that helps.

The command line option is the same error checking utility, but use the /R argument it checks a few extra things out.

will do

Sounds more like a operating system issue I would think. Are the drives making any sort of noise like grinding or scratching? that's usually when you know there on the way out.

dont think its the OS. i sledgehammered it by reinstalling XP but still no cigar. The drives sound fine, but like i said, it does stutter when streaming video. could be the RAID card i suppose.