HDMI or Composite?

smithyandco

Ok... So I kinda took the plunge for HD... The mrs brought round her 22" HD telly to replace my dying 19" Wide TFT monitor.

It works well... PC is pumping 1440x900 @60Htz (Same as the 19") through it via the VGA port with a very good picture (So I assume it's just a 1440x900 monitor panel in a TV casing)

Anyway... As it's HD I've decided to put the xbox through as well (PC/Xbox/DVB/DVD all in one screen... fantastic! Means the media center software idea is not longer needed nor the DVB TV Card!)

My xbox is a 60Gb Pro which came with the HDMI port but I don't have a HDMI cable yet... so it's running through the RGB composite. The TV allows for scart audio and composite video mix so audio + HD isn't a problem.

But the picture isn't 100%... In game it's perfect! But most of the games are designed for 720 (like the TV)... but the dashboard isn't sharp in the same way as it is when you push a 1080 signal through (It displays it but it's as sharp as SD TV)

Would feeding the xbox through via a HDMI cable make any difference? Would the image be any better than RGB HD?

And the aspect ratio issue... The HD TV is a 16:10 (Most are 16:9 as far as I'm aware)... On the SD TV it gives the option in the xbox console settings of either 4:3, 16:10 or 16:9...

On the HD TV it doesn't... just "Normal" or "Widescreen" and the picture again looks wrong... Ovals instead of circles etc so it seems to be pushing a 16:9 signal through... I heard on the "SentUAMessage" weekly videos on xbox live that there is a way to force the xbox to push 16:10 through HD TVs but I can't find it on live anymore...

Does anyone know how?

the XBOX 360 came with a AV cable with the compsite cable also attatched IIRC??? my mates did anyway.

I reccommend using the Compsite connection until you get a HDMI cable, compsite runs at 476i (my mates XBOX did when it was plugged in my TV)

The compsite will look ALOT better than A/V, but Asda do dirt cheap gold plated HDMI cables and there perfect. :thumb:

as for the Ratio, cant help you there mate, if its a widescreen TV just set it as 16:9 on the Xbox, it shouldnt look out of shape then.

It'll never be sharp unless you run it at the native resolution.. You need a TV with 720 or 1080 lines..

I know that... why most peoples TFTs look turd... :roll:

This one is sharp at both 900 and 720 though... Although sharper at 900 (so 1440x900 native)

Just not so sharp at any other res... by that I mean less sharp than a 1024 tft running at 768... almost blured. I was wondering if it's the composite input causing this and if HDMI would be better.

the XBOX 360 came with a AV cable with the compsite cable also attatched IIRC??? my mates did anyway.

I reccommend using the Compsite connection until you get a HDMI cable, compsite runs at 476i (my mates XBOX did when it was plugged in my TV)

The compsite will look ALOT better than A/V, but Asda do dirt cheap gold plated HDMI cables and there perfect. :thumb:

as for the Ratio, cant help you there mate, if its a widescreen TV just set it as 16:9 on the Xbox, it shouldnt look out of shape then.

It does...

I'm using the Composite now... but obviously thats video only... the audio only is running via scart. The TV mixes both so you get HD video and scart audio.

I was wondering if HDMI is better than the composite.

I can't change it to 16:9 on the xbox since swaping TVs... The TV can only do 4:3 or 16:10 and when on the old TV (16:9 CRT SD) the xbox itself gave the option of 4:3, 16:10 or 16:9

Now the options on the display part of the console settings are just "Widescreen" or "Normal". the options of 4:3, 16:10 or 16:9 have disappeared on the xbox itself... not the TV.

So it's the xbox's availible settings that have changed... There is a way of forcing the xbox to display at 16:10 in this situation for use with 16:10 HDTVs and Monitors but I forgot how.

Cant you plug the Xbox into the old moniter and set it to 16:10 then use it on the new one?

Composite on a true HD TV looks very poor.

That might work, but the settings might Disable on the console because its not supported in Compsite maybe?

as for the Compsite on True HD Ian, Im using that setup on my Wii now, Compsite and my new TV is True HD... looks fine to me?? :unsure:

Cant you plug the Xbox into the old moniter and set it to 16:10 then use it on the new one?

Composite on a true HD TV looks very poor.

I think that's how they did it thinking about it... plug it in via scart or to the normal telly... change it then plug it back in to the HD

Will give it a go! :thumb:

So in your opinion HDMI is much better?

Lee, thats because the Wii doesnt have a HD output.

Example:

PS3 composite on a older TV - looks fine.

PS3 HDMI on a new HDTV(1080) - looks great.

PS3 composite on a HDTV(1080) - propper rubbish picture.

I would get you a pic, but my Phillips has just been returned, and im waiting on choosing a new one to replace it, although it would maybe still show the difference on the TV i have, let me see if i have time tonight :)

Phil, yes deffinatly pay out the few quid you can get one for now, its miles ahead on a decent TV.

Any cheap one do? Ie: Poundshop or Adsa Smart Price?

I can't see it making a difference over a £70 HDMI cable for a 720 telly....

Any will do really.

ASDA do a good quality cable at £19.99 (feels like a very high quality casing on it). Tesco do a decent one for about 15.00.

Anything over £20 is just a complete waste of money. Some will say go for gold connectors but really the cable is just copper inside any ways. I suppose you would be paying extra for more shielding around the cable but unless you are getting high interface from a basic cable it seems pointless.

I personally don't see the difference between using composite / HDMI on the xbox 360 when using several different models of 720p screens, but it’s still worth a try for you since everyone see's / hears differently.

I usually try one for a few days then switch over and try the other.

It doesn't matter what HDMI cable you get really, as long as it's not battered.

Digital signals like HDMI are just 1's and 0's, so its much less likely to lose quality, unlike composite.

Play.com do one for like £4, and Tesco do a Tesco Value HDMI lead!!!

IMO, my consoles are both running on HDMI cos I thought it was better than HD Composite. (as HD is 1's and 0's and composite is more data to lose...)

My TV is a 28" 1080p HD with a res of 1920x1200. So at 1080p resolution (1920 by 1080) it stretches it lengthways a MINIMAL amount to fit.

The native res of your 22"will most likely be 1680x1050 (or the nearest 16:10 resolution.) so that will give the sharpest image on PC.

Hope that helps :)

[EDIT] Not sure, but by "Composite" I think Phil means the RGB Composite you get with the XBox which IS HD, rather than Red Yellow White composite which is NOT, and is 476i...

Edited by andaba