xbox fault....anyone got a clue?

shawdreamer

One of the best things about Halo... Accidental funny clips! :pancake:

Just noticed on eBay they sell spare parts for the DVD drives... would make life a lot easier if it was a simple motor change... Saves flashing the drive (if/when needed) to match your 360s motherboard :cheers:

Just need to find out what make of drive you have... :pancake:

One of the best things about Halo... Accidental funny clips! :pancake:

Just noticed on eBay they sell spare parts for the DVD drives... would make life a lot easier if it was a simple motor change... Saves flashing the drive (if/when needed) to match your 360s motherboard :cheers:

Just need to find out what make of drive you have... :pancake:

Im prettttttty sure..... I have no idea what ya mean lol

I looked on Ebay and saw the "benQ" xbox DVD replacement drives but thats literally as far as my understanding go's lol

Grab another drive off eBay... I'll fit and test the bugger in 30mins... :thumb:

It's a PC in an awkward case... not difficult to rip to bits and put back together.

Will void your warrenty if you have one though... If you still have a warrenty, send it back... if not DIY it is! :thumb:

Wrong!

Would be benificial if you could grab a HDD while your at it... Install all your favs except Halo 3 (Runs like crap on HDD)... Keep your new drive working longer as it's only got to slowly spin up then spin down to make sure you have the disc in...

You could grab a pre-flashed drive and wack that in... :cheers:

Unfortunatly wrong again!

Phil have you tried this?

You know the process you need to do replacing a 360 drive?

If not you could leave Mr Dreamer only dreaming of playing a game on his then expensive dvd player. :(

Do you know what srive you have atm?

If not try this to identify.

http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/dvdtest/samsung-hitachi-benq.jpg

Edited by PeeWee

Wrong!

Unfortunatly wrong again!

Phil have you tried this?

You know the process you need to do replacing a 360 drive?

If not you could leave Mr Dreamer only dreaming of playing a game on his then expensive dvd player. :(

Well it is basically a PC in an awkward case... It's a motherboard with on board CPU and GPU, HDD, DVD-ROM, onboard network card etc... Running Microsoft's 360 OS.

Replacing a 360 drive? Yes! You re-flash the DVD drive to match the motherboard... simples if you have a sata motherboard in your PC or a sata controller card.

Usually done using a LiveCD style bootable CD.

Or like I've said above, the simpler way is to change the motor! as I've found some on eBay... Just need to find out what make of DVD drive he has... That means no replacement drive, no flashing etc...

360s aren't exactly difficult to repair! :thumb:

Phil mate you said "buy a pre flashed drive & wack it in"

Not possible, that's what made me a tad wary of your ability to replace the drive.

Not difficult for the likes of you or me no, also not difficult to make it a paperweight. :unsure:

Use the wrong sata controller or the correct one without the modified drivers (installed correctly), forget to use an earth strap, use the wrong type of flash software. All can upset the old applecart.

You need the right method to put the drive into the required vendor mode (all different dependent on drive), Hitachi needs to go into mode B for instance which is different than samsungs vendor mode & a benq/philips liteon will need extra hardware (a probe) to extract the key)

You do know about the key extraction, different to firmware dumping?

You then cant just flash the new drive with the other drives firmware as you need to then spoof the new drive using the key from the old drive & injecting this into the newest firmware made from your old firmware. All this will then of course carry the risk of banning on xbl if care is not taken.

I have worked with pc's for many years & the xbox360 is quite a different experience.

Live cd is not a great way to attempt this (and wont work at all with the Hitachi drive, which then means you have to identify just what version Hitachi you have).

already said, its a BenQ drive :D

Sorry pal i missed that, if my opinion is anything to go by i don't think its the motor but the laser malfunctioning.

Also if you can get another benq drive,same model you can just swap the dvd drives board over (this contains the key & firmware that is paired to your 360's motherboard.

Edited by PeeWee

Sorry pal i missed that, if my opinion is anything to go by i don't think its the motor but the laser malfunctioning.

wouldnt that just go outright tho?

ok ok......despite what it is, what options do I have for repair, barring microsoft???

so if I was to grab one of these BenQ drives off Egay it'd be a straight swap?

ok ok......despite what it is, what options do I have for repair, barring microsoft???

Not a straight swap no!

Every xbox360 is paired via a key on the dvd drive. No other dvd drive will work other than to play movies unless you do the required modifications (you need to fool the xbox that your original dvd player is still in there).

Like i said, you need to open the drives & swap the main board.

Even opening the xbox case is fun if you have never attempted this before or don't have the right tools.

The laser will produce the "open tray" more & more as it deteriorates, it wont just "go".

This is only speculation remember as i cant possibly diagnose the exact fault.

Best option would be to buy a replacement drive & spoof it with the extracted key & firmware from the broken drive.

If you need guides let me know & i will send you all the technical info you need, whether it be opening your xbox,flashing/spoofing your drive.

As you will see by now its not at all like repairing a pc at all im afraid. :(

Edited by PeeWee

Not a straight swap no!

Every xbox360 is paired via a key on the dvd drive. No other dvd drive will work other than to play movies unless you do the required modifications (you need to fool the xbox that your original dvd player is still in there).

Like i said, you need to open the drives & swap the main board.

Even opening the xbox case is fun if you have never attempted this before or don't have the right tools.

The laser will produce the "open tray" more & more as it deteriorates, it wont just "go".

This is only speculation remember as i cant possibly diagnose the exact fault.

Best option would be to buy a replacement drive & spoof it with the extracted key & firmware from the broken drive.

If you need guides let me know & i will send you all the technical info you need, whether it be opening your xbox,flashing/spoofing your drive.

As you will see by now its not at all like repairing a pc at all im afraid. :(

any specialized tools barring micro screwdrivers and the like required?

i have a benq sat in front of me !! its bricked to the console it livs in so will be perfect for the job !! :thumb:

i can fit the drive for you !! i can change the dvd motherboard for the one in your drive !! or flash it with your dvd key !!

even add some ixtreme fw at the same time !! then you can run backup copies !

oh and yes please on the guides

i have a benq sat in front of me !! its bricked to the console it livs in so will be perfect for the job !! :thumb:

i can fit the drive for you !! i can change the dvd motherboard for the one in your drive !! or flash it with your dvd key !!

even add some ixtreme fw at the same time !! then you can run backup copies !

££££ to me?

anyone else up for the repair?

If matty feels up to the job then go for it, not micro screwdrivers either btw, torx size 10 (quite small) needed for the screws after opening the case with a special tool (yes you can use screwdrivers to crack the case but 9/10 will cause some slight marking & for the sake of a 4 quid tool from ebay).