Want to learn to detail better

rs2k2008

Hey folks, looking at getting a new car soon and would like to keep it s tidy and clean as possible. I know how to throw a bit of auto glym and stuff on and of, but would like to take it a step further. Dont want to spend loads because im only a novice and want to do one step at a time. Going to use my current shed of a rover to pratice on (god knows it needs it). So can people please point me in the right direction of what items to look for and a how to do it. I havent got a pressure washer yet but going to get one end of the month. Cheers :cheers:

Also see polishedbliss website. They have good writeups on the various stages plus advice on what type of products to use for different paint hardness and colour. They have also taken the time to put a good write up on most products they sell so you dont have to just keep buying stuff and finding out for yourself whether its any good or not for the application.

So you can wash and wax a car. Can you do this without inflicting any damage to the paintwork? Next step would be to get going with a clar bar. If the paint needs correcting then look into machine polishing although this takes time, money and practice and only covers the paintwork so maybe start going into the finer details like restoring all the black plastic and rubber trim, arches, wheels, badge gunk etc. Basically start being anal about getting dirt and crap out of every nook and cranny and then leaving behind a protective layer so that next time you come to clean it, the task is so much more easier.

Im a bit of a bookworm myself so i read, read and then just before i apply any product or technique to my car, i read up on it again just to make sure. Afterwards, i read it again to see where i went wrong or if i can improve the technique if i did it right. Detailingworld will bog you down with information but is really your best bet in gaining gems from people who have been there and worn the t-shirt.

First time i washed my car, i used a dirty great yellow sponge and the t-shirt off my own back to dry it. Now i have a few hundred pounds worth of cleaners, compounds, polishes, waxes and sealants, machinery, clay bars, about 30 different washmitts and cloths, resotration products etc and still find i always need something else. You have been warned....

Ideally as a minimum for a wash-clay-protect...

- 2 buckets

- 2 washmits (and possibly another for wheels and arches unless you want to use a soft brush)

- a proper shampoo (you were joking about washing up liquid right?)

- mild clay to start off with

- bottle of lube (or strong shampoo solution)

- (possibly a glaze / cleanser / conditioner before the wax but not absolutely necessary just yet)

- decent wax/sealant

- At least 4 microfibre cloths + maybe an applicator to apply wax

Your looking between £25-£45 for this little lot depending on where you get them from. Halfords is 3 for 2 at the mo but your not spoilt for choice. My local factors have autoglym for a little under half price at the mo.

Then you can start thinking about the finer side of things such as glazes, paint cleaners, mild swirl removing or filling products, various cleaning brushes to get into crevices, trim restorer, alloy wax, degreaser, tar remover, metal polish. Also remember that paintwork that NEEDS compounding/polishing wont ever look much good no matter how much you wash, clay or wax it. Had to learn this the hard way after 3 coats of glaze and not much of an idea of how to apply it or buff it off.

Dont buy cheap washmits, applicators or buffing cloths or you will end up spending 50 times the amount you think you saved trying to get rid of the swirls that will cover your paintwork.

Hopefully with the basics listed above, you can stand back and admire the nice shiny, partially renovated paintwork. Then you take a step closer and see the filthy interior..................

Stu may sound blunt, but really if you dont want to spend the time researching and learning, dont bother. Good luck!

Why would u need two washmitts, and whats the lube for (no jokes please)

You can get away with one, BUT, the bottom half of the car is much dirtier than the top half (i separate it from the wheel arches downwards, usually bump-strip level) and you dont want to be putting the washmitt back over the top half as the grit and crap from the road will cause damage. May be ok if the car is just dusty and pretty clean to begin with, but for the sake of an extra £5-10, you could be spending much more on polishes to get rid of the swirl marks left behind. Not to mention about 3 days of your time if you havnt got a machine to polish with.

Also, brake dust from the wheels is sharp bits of metal so you really need seperate cleaning stuff for wheels and arches.

The lube is for the clay so you dont damage the paint. Some clay bars can be used with water but most need lubricating oils. Either use detailing spray or a very strong shampoo solution. If the latter, you need to rinse often. Either get yourself a small bottle of megs detailing spray which will last for one whole car or get some of this

Last touch

which last for aaaaages and it works out about 10 times cheaper. I get through quite a lot of this so its worth it for me.

went out and brought a mequires clay kit for £23 from halfords and had a quick go, the car got washed to start with, clayed the bonnet and the drivers wing and i couldnt belve the amount of dirt that was on the clay bar..

Sooo, hows it going? Any more progress? Pics? If the bar is getting quite dirty then make sure you knead it to a clean side often or you will end up damaging the paint. I normally remold the bar every 2-3 sq ft. to be safe. Also, if you drop it, throw it. Its gutting when it happens, just use 3rd of a bar each time and you wont have to throw the whole thing.