XBOX media centre

ScORTED

just bought an original xbox manufactured 2005 for £10 brand new in uts box from my local makro - epic win!

now i need to turn it into a media centre so i can stream from tversity to it, i've not switched it on yet as that means moving the spare tele to the bedroom, can anyone tell me if it will work straight away or will i have to fcuk about / hack the console?

just bought an original xbox manufactured 2005 for £10 brand new in uts box from my local makro - epic win!

now i need to turn it into a media centre so i can stream from tversity to it, i've not switched it on yet as that means moving the spare tele to the bedroom, can anyone tell me if it will work straight away or will i have to fcuk about / hack the console?

Phils (Smithyandco) probably your best bet fella, He does them now. :thumb:

Hacked xbox1's use XBMC, still the best media centre around imo.

To use Tversity is different in every way. Tversity turns a pc into a media server for various devices. Your xbox needs to be on the same network as your pc running tversity. Once Tversity is installed on the pc you can simply right click on a folder containing your media & choose to share via tversity.

On a 360 you simply go to your movies & choose tversity to see your shared folders. Not sure how this works on a none hacked xbox1 , long time since i looked at the basic untouched menu it comes with.

You can modify the old xbox without opening these days though (softmodding).

xboxscene/forums is your best source of info for an in-depth look.

Best way of modding the originals is via EEPROM hacking.

Doesn't require an impossible to find chip... doesn't mean finding a game to soft mod with then finding it out it's the wrong version of the disc.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863

See the device this guy has made... EEPROM reader/writer via serial... I have one of those. (Apart from mine is much, much more neater :) )

I read the EEPROM and use that to unlock the HDD (the HDDs are locked to their own motherboard)... then you simply install XBMC to it with a FATX compatible linux live CD and lock it again (so the XBOX can boot from it... they don't boot from unlocked HDDs without a chip)

Da, Daaaa... a 700ish Mhz Media Center PC of sorts... :thumb:

Then it's a case of adding software you want via FTP (CuteFTP or FileZilla are usually best).

then you simply load that software from your file manager (XBMC has a file manager built in) and run the *.xbe file (Xbox Executable)

• 2 weeks later...
bit of an update i found a friend of a friend who is softmodding it for me, once thats been done what software will i need to put on it to use it with tversity?

Why do you need Tversity?

Just ask said friend to install xbmc as I mentioned (usually gets installed with the softmod anyway tbh) and your done, no need for anything else then as you can access your network without a tversity server running on any machine & no need to set up all the shares.