XBOX or PS3

MikeM

Sorry if this is the wrong section, Did look in the gaming part but couldn't figure out where to put it?

Basically i'm looking to either get a PS3 or XBOX.

Firstly i was gonna get the PS3 after playing on my brothers but i have seen some good deals on the xbox, 120gb elite looks really tempting! The only thing that worries me on the xbox is the dreaded 'red eye' problem when i packs up! My brothers have had 2 now that have done it! Both where the white ones. So i dunno weather to hold out and get a PS3 once i have enough pennies? But then i wanna have a crack on Forza 3 lol

So i'm a bit stuck at the moment. So what would you guys get?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a PS3, and it's brilliant - couldn't be happier with it.

It's a complete multi-media system. I use it for:

- Playing DVD's and Blue Rays in High Definition

- Playing videos from my PC (you just transfer them over using a USB stick or drive)

- Show off holiday photographs

- Watch TV using the integrated BBC iPlayer

And play games obviously :D

We've got games like Buzz and Singstar which are great and my brother plays Rock Guitar (or is it Band Hero?)

And the PS3 Slim is cheaper at £250 now.

But if you're only going to play games on it, then the 360 would be the sensible choice as it's a lot cheaper.

Just to throw a spanner in the works ill say 360. Those above claim the ps3 to be an all round media system but so is the xbox360. I use my 360 mainly as a media system delivering hd movies over my network so no transfer of files needed. Far more choice in the games department an although theres a cost xblive has much more support in the games arena. As for the red ring problem, buying one now should be fine as the processor is much more stable & cool enough to cope as the whole lot has been re worked.

My choice is the 360 not just for price (big difference) but for an all rounder. Unless you really need bluray I see no use for the ps3 (its the only console i dont own simply because it offers me nothing i require).

Edited by PeeWee

Just to throw a spanner in the works ill say 360. Those above claim the ps3 to be an all round media system but so is the xbox360. I use my 360 mainly as a media system delivering hd movies over my network so no transfer of files needed. Far more choice in the games department an although theres a cost xblive has much more support in the games arena. As for the red ring problem, buying one now should be fine as the processor is much more stable & cool enough to cope as the whole lot has been re worked.

My choice is the 360 not just for price (big difference) but for an all rounder. Unless you really need bluray I see no use for the ps3 (its the only console i dont own simply because it offers me nothing i require).

+1

Although I've had 3 xbox's die on me, the new ones seem to be much better.

I do that on my PS3 as well, forgot to mention the streaming.

In the past I would have mentioned the RROD but as you've said, Microsoft seem to have sorted that out now. And their customer service is excellent so even if it did break down they'd probably replace it for you.

Depends if you think BluRay is going to be the industries standard in the future.

Another problem I had was being a PS and PS2 owner, the 360 controllers are awful and awkward to use for me.

I love my xbox more than I love my right arm.

That's because you have my right arm.

Another problem I had was being a PS and PS2 owner, the 360 controllers are awful and awkward to use for me

Ditto

Plus, all of my friends have a PS3, so I can play with them online

However, if all of my friends had 360's, I'd have got one of those

In any event, you're not gonna notice any difference between games across the formats. (Although you may, as some 360 owners will invariably tell you, get more 360 exclusives than the other way around - for example, GTA4 had additional '360 exclusive' levels, and Modern Warfare 2 will probably get new downloadable content like maps before PS3 does).

Thing with the playstation is you get everything to go online but with the xbox you need to buy the wireless adapter? Then pay the £40 per year? But i'm not sure if i'm that fussed about online gaming at the moment? Or BluRay. Think i just want something for gaming.

Toy R Us had an Xbox elite 120gb plus 2 games, controller and headset for 199?

With the xbox, can i use a usb memory stick and view pictures, music and videos on it?

Noticed i can get GTA4 on xbox which i'm happy with LOL :D