turboing my car

shaung

hi guys ive managed to find some 1 to turbo my mk5 xr3i zetec but its only gona be running 7lb of boost he told me when iam running small bust like this that i dont need a intercooler is this true cheers.

It is true regarding the intercooler, but it's a bit of an old school way of looking. Back in the 70's and 80's, there were lots of non-intercooled cars running low boost. This is why a lot of later cars had big 'intercooler' badges on them, as it was supposed to be something modern and special. These days all turbocharged cars have intercoolers as the advantages outweigh the cost.

You get approx 3C per pound of boost temperature increase above the ambient air inlet temp and this all works against you in terms of detonation, compounding the problem you will have by slapping a turbo onto a normally aspirated engine.

In my opinion it's doomed to fail, but if the guy is promising you a result for a certain budget then it's up to you if you go with it. It's best to stick to one persons advice (eg the turbo guy) than question everything he says on the internet. If it blows up, you can go back to him, not the internet!

Edited by Stu

hi guys ive managed to find some 1 to turbo my mk5 xr3i zetec but its only gona be running 7lb of boost he told me when iam running small bust like this that i dont need a intercooler is this true cheers.

It is true regarding the intercooler, but it's a bit of an old school way of looking. Back in the 70's and 80's, there were lots of non-intercooled cars running low boost. This is why a lot of later cars had big 'intercooler' badges on them, as it was supposed to be something modern and special. These days all turbocharged cars have intercoolers as the advantages outweigh the cost.

You get approx 3C per pound of boost temperature increase above the ambient air inlet temp and this all works against you in terms of detonation, compounding the problem you will have by slapping a turbo onto a normally aspirated engine.

In my opinion it's doomed to fail, but if the guy is promising you a result for a certain budget then it's up to you if you go with it. It's best to stick to one persons advice (eg the turbo guy) than question everything he says on the internet. If it blows up, you can go back to him, not the internet!

well i have heard alot of good report from other people who he has done this type of conversion to there car i just wanted to no if it was true about a none intercooler on a low boost car as i dont wana be throwin money into it then the thin blowin up lol like you said stu i can always take it back to him if it does cheers mate.