should older drivers have a re-test?

dutchkev

there are a hell of a lot of old people around where i live, and although i respect they may have been driving for 50 years, i feel they have the ability of a 7 year old.

they are forever stopping at green lights, running red ones, indicating left and then turning right and vise-versa, going either 10mph under the speed limit or 20mph over it. there the first to pull out on a junction without looking and cut you up

driving has changed alot since they passed there test. its alot harder now than ever and i feel that all people over the age of 50 shpuld be made to re-take there test to see if they can still comply to todays standards

maybe not as intensive as our current one, but still enough to see if they old guys n gals have still got there faclties about them.

thoughts?

Yes.

At present a person can pass their test on their 17th Birthday, and then never have any sort of re-examination until their medical at 71 years of age. That's 54 years where a lot of things can change both medically speaking, and on the roads themselves. Plus, it's 54 years where bad habits can drift in and become established as second nature.

As my dad got older, his driving scared the bejesus outta me because his reactions were definitely slower, and he seemed to find complicated junctions more confusing and seemed to be oblivious to how he was cutting people up.

At 45, I can also tell my own reactions are beginning to slow, plus I recently had to get bifocals because I noticed a delay in focussing my eyes when flicking from windscreen to speedo, mirrors etc. I noticed and did something about it. But there are many others too proud, or too stupid to realise.

Even though the driving basics are fundamentally unchanged, many little changes in the rules have taken place since I first started driving in 1982 (1980 if you count my FS1E!). I try to keep up to date on this stuff, but I know most people of my age group seem to think the only thing that's changed is traffic levels and car quality.

now thats what i like to see - honesty! im not saying they should be scaremongerd off the roads, but montiered

i know a fella who is in his mid to late 60's who is developing cateracs (sp) and is letal behind the wheel, yet he fails to declair this to the DVLA stating that he didnt have it when he passed so it dont matter X(

:evil: now then kev I could get on my soap box here, I am coming up 51 (coughs loudly), Iand I consider myself to be a lot better driver than some of the younger ones, mainly because of experience, now I do agree that some of the older end may be over cautious, but then again some of the younger end, think the road is there own playground, so swings and roundabouts (pardon the punn), to some extent maybe a refresh type of test but not a full blown one, lets say a "are you still capable to drive test", and 50 (and yes you did state 50), no no no, I would say 65 a more realistic age, it is technically retirement age so sort of ties in if you get my drift. climbs off soap box and waits for the flack!!!! :roll:

Nevermind older drivers, everyone should.

I would love to see people have to take a driving assessment every 5 years, not a test as such, but observed driving by someone that actually knows how to drive. After the assesment, the observer could set out area's for training that the driver should work on in a set amount of time, if they dont improve over say a 6 month period, they lose their license and have to take the test again.

Bad driving isnt limited to the old or the young.

Kev, you might want to get your eyes tested before you head out on the roads again:

i didnt actually state an age...... but if i had to i'd say 60+

there are a hell of a lot of old people around where i live, and although i respect they may have been driving for 50 years, i feel they have the ability of a 7 year old.

they are forever stopping at green lights, running red ones, indicating left and then turning right and vise-versa, going either 10mph under the speed limit or 20mph over it. there the first to pull out on a junction without looking and cut you up

driving has changed alot since they passed there test. its alot harder now than ever and i feel that all people over the age of 50 shpuld be made to re-take there test to see if they can still comply to todays standards

maybe not as intensive as our current one, but still enough to see if they old guys n gals have still got there faclties about them.

thoughts?

Edited by Trig