is it ethical to reveal names?

dutchkev

There are numerous reasons why people use an alias on this (and other forums).... Is it moral for anyone, who happens to know the real name of that person, to address him as such in a post or topic?

For instance, we all know That sortedfords real name is Ian, and peewee is ofter refrerd to ny his real name... but is it Ethical to "reveal" the real name of a person who you just happen to know personally??...

What are the main reasons for persons using a userid instead of his/her own name?

if we didnt mind being called our real names, then would we have our user names as are real ones, or do we have different user ID's for s bit of anenimity?

prime example (and this is NOT a presonal attack mearly a statment on what i have seen) is Sidrick - alot of people know his real name, and have used it in conversations and Sid has stated himself that he does not want to be refered to as his name on the forums, which i respect.

some members have usernames that have no clear indication as to who they are or what they drive, but dont mind being called by there real name.

so - is it ethical?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure about the ethical bit, i do not have a problem if somebody wants to use my name (mike), only used the userid, beacause it seems to be the norm almost everywhere, think it is up to the individual person really, but if they are that bothered, can they not log on here annon anyway :innocent:

I have known people on here for years now so I don't mind being called by my name.

Infact, I would rather be called my name than '2f2f' all the time... Most of you do call me by my name now, for which I appreciate. :thumb:

My username has been the same on all internet stuff since I was 14, so it was just habit that I used it on this site as well.

probably the same with me, i got my nickname 'dutchkev' from when i was at work when i was 19, it aint because i am dutch - its becase my last name is holland and my first name is kev!

i dont mind what im called either way, but some people still prefere to be called by there alias than there real name

To be honest, I think I'd rather people used my real name :roll:

so your saying you DONT have massive wangers?? :(

Edited by dutchkev

I dont have a problem people calling me 'Dave'. Think the main reason for a username, is because it's individual. If not, we could end up with 4 different Lee's for example, 5 Daves, a few Kevs, Mikes etc. All with a slight difference in a letter or symbol to make it different. But if someone does not wish to be called by their name, I respect that.

Seeing as how my name is in my username, I dont have a problem with being called Dan, thats my name after all lol.

I reckon most usernames come from your first email address, when you are young you try and go for something different, 1 to be cool, 2 because chances are someone has already taken your actual name as an email address, and johnsmith2 isnt cool lol.

My nickname since secondary school has been Ginger Dave, even tho im not really that ginger lol well if compared to a proper carrot top :P so when it comes to forums and the internet it kind of follows on from there really,

i PERSONALLY think that as long as you only use someones first name and don't go shouting out full names and address then its ok, but at the end of the day its upto the person who's name it is whether they want it used or not.