Cheapest Broadband Available?

wwwd

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section, but I thought it was generic enough to be here.

Anyway, here's the situation. My mate has a PlayStation 3 but doesn't own a computer but wants to play COD2 online.

Can anyone recommend a broadband package which would suit him?

I know AOL do a broadband package (with a free wireless router) which is around £14.99 per month. But if anyone knows of any better deals then that would be great :)

Virgin media offer a great Triple Package at the Moment with a Free router too.

The Great thing about Cable if its in your area is you get what you pay for.

Sky etc etc use a Telephone line for your Broad band so if you say have 10 meg and then every one is either on the phone or net in your area your lucky to be running on 1 to 2 meg

with Cable its a direct line using Coax that will feed your TV and Internet from your property underground to Hub, each property has its own Cable so its not shared in theory.

with cable if you have 10 meg youll probably run at 7 or 8 in peak times which is great for the purpose you need it for

Sky etc etc use a Telephone line for your Broad band so if you say have 10 meg and then every one is either on the phone or net in your area your lucky to be running on 1 to 2 meg

with Cable its a direct line using Coax that will feed your TV and Internet from your property underground to Hub, each property has its own Cable so its not shared in theory.

with cable if you have 10 meg youll probably run at 7 or 8 in peak times which is great for the purpose you need it for

Speaking from experience, I've had Virgin's 20mb service previously, then Sky's 8mb service and am now on Sky's 20mb service. Personally, I've NEVER had this experience of poor download speeds at peak times.. we consistently have wireless download speeds of 1.6mb per second with Sky's 20mb service.

Anyway, back on track

02 Home Broadband is a good option if its available in the OP's area.

£12.50 p/m for an 8mb connection or £7.50 is you're an existing O2 user.

If he's only connecting a PS3, this is more than sufficient, whether he's hardlined or playing wirelessly

Sorry, that's a load of crap. Every form of broadband has what they call contention, including Virgin cable. The backhaul connection from the exchange (be it BT or Virgin) is of less bandwidth than the aggregate of all the client connections!

Don't be fooled by Virgins stupid "fibre optic" marketing crap. BT's network is also fibre optic, a long time before Virgin ever considered broadband! The facts are Virgin may, in some situations, have fibre closer to your home than BT, the benefit being you get the advertised speed whereas on BT (if you live a long way from the exchange), your speed may be slower (hence the "up to 8mbit" services).