PC gone mental

duffa

I believe in it because I don't-not-believe in it.

I believe in evolution as opposed to Adam and Eve, I don't regularly go to Church and I don't believe (nor equally disbelive) in a God. However, as said, I was Christened, will marry in a church and will leave the world in the appropriate manner, too. My whole family has.

I'm maybe more of a traditionalist than a devout believer.

I believe that there's something, somewhere that kicked this all off.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in it because I don't-not-believe in it.

I believe in evolution as opposed to Adam and Eve, I don't regularly go to Church and I don't believe (nor equally disbelive) in a God. However, as said, I was Christened, will marry in a church and will leave the world in the appropriate manner, too. My whole family has.

I'm maybe more of a traditionalist than a devout believer.

I believe that there's something, somewhere that kicked this all off.

Yeah, the big bang.

I too was Christened, have a religious mother who dragged me to Sunday school every Sunday without fail, made me go to Church until I was of an age where I could say 'Bollox'. I also had cancer as a child, was given a short period of time to live and had every religion thrown at me at the age of 11 being told each individual one would cure me. This was from family members and family friends who believed in different 'myths'.

The bible (note in lower case, zero respect for this story) was written by man, just like the koran (although they believe their book appeared in space from god and came to Earth - or something along those lines).. how many times through the thousands of translations there has been do you think stories have been edited, had bits added, bits taken out, some characters made superior and others inferior?

I am this 'someone' who mentioned the bed sheet, and my statement is yet to be answered to.. how is it right that a muslim can enter a Bank or Petrol Station wearing their gladrags totally covered yet a motorcyclist wearing a helmet can't? Why is one superior to the other? Because of religion? what a joke! Do you remember it being in the papers some years ago about a girl in a school in Derby (Sinfin School) being suspended for refusing to remove her crucifix as it offended the muslim pupils parents yet they were permitted to wear bangles and again.. their gladrags?

I've worked for the NHS, in a respectable role and have seen the strain religion causes such services. How things 'must be done differently for fear of offending them'.. not only with muslims, but right across the board. The amount of immigrants (who were mostly muslim) that couldn't speak a word of English but used our health service that they don't pay a thing in to! This I don't blame them for, I blame our joke of a government and 'New Labour' for it - though in saying that, these people know they can get away with milking the system for nothing, so they do.. this should be seen as illegal.

Call me racist, call me a phacist, I prefer to see myself as a realist. Immigration is one of this nations biggest problems, if it wasn't, the government wouldn't be finally introducing new laws on student visa's! A small percentage of immigrants contribute to our society, the rest segregate themselves into their own communities which we look at as slums - Bradford being a prime example.

If you wish to follow a religion, then do so.. but don't expect others to see things your way and don't ever try forcing it on to others.. regardless of your religion or background, we're all individuals and athiests should be just as respected as a practising Christian/Muslim/Jew/Hindu/Buddhist and so forth.

That's my 2 pence worth,

Much love! <3

Call me racist, call me a phacist, I prefer to see myself as a realist. Immigration is one of this nations biggest problems, if it wasn't, the government wouldn't be finally introducing new laws on student visa's! A small percentage of immigrants contribute to our society, the rest segregate themselves into their own communities which we look at as slums - Bradford being a prime example.

Many things worried me about your post, including the 'respected role in the NHS', but the 'small percentage' one in particular was the most disturbing and ridiculous.

Many things worried me about your post, including the 'respected role in the NHS', but the 'small percentage' one in particular was the most disturbing and ridiculous.

We live in a finite land space. Our population per land area is higher than most other countries. It has been scientifically proven that human beings react in an adverse manner when their space is confined. Increasing immigration, or for that matter, the indigenous population will only serve to make matters worse. I don't doubt that legal migration contributes more to the UK economy than it takes out but to get a true value the social impact has to be considered. When this is taken into account it is fairly obvious that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. :nutter:

If you wish to follow a religion, then do so.. but don't expect others to see things your way and don't ever try forcing it on to others.. regardless of your religion or background, we're all individuals and athiests should be just as respected as a practising Christian/Muslim/Jew/Hindu/Buddhist and so forth.

Nobody has called you a racist nor a fascist, however you've conveniently turned a debate on polictical correctness and religion into one lambasting immigrants :-\

As for following a religion, I don't expect anyone to see things my way nor do I force my views on anybody, and I don't know anyone of any other religion here that does.

You speak about athiests being respected in the same topic as you're referred to bed sheet wearers. Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I feel that I (and generally everyone in my neck of the woods up here) respect other people's beliefs. Want to wear a turbon? Fine, I don't care. Want to go to a Mosque? Fine, I don't care. Want stand on street corners preaching about the Word of God? Fine, I don't care.

That effects me and bothers me not one bit. I really don't know how it's such a big deal for those of you in some areas down the road.

As for The Sun readers harping on about folk being told to take off their cross, or banning ba ba blacksheep or any of the rest of it. This is because one or two people have said something, not an entire religious population. None of the Muslims I know would give a rubbish if I carried about a bible and a 4ft crucafix with me while speaking to them, and the black guys I know would laugh at the suggestion ba ba backsheep might me offensive.

The point is, regardless of race and religion, some people are just cnuts. You can't tar a whole religion with the same brush when someone complains about a crucafix, just as I'd be mortified if I was tarred with the same brush when white Christians in Bradford or the like are filmed spitting on a middle aged coloured woman and shouting 'go home paki'.

See what I'm saying, chief?

I get where you're coming from, and I understand that. Don't get me wrong, I have friends and as said family members who're religious.. they can get on with it, and believe in what they wish..

My point (although I've gone off on a tangent) is that I personally believe religion has no place in modern society anymore. It's an age old tradition that used to be an answer to questions that people of the times couldn't understand.. now we have science and fact that answers these questions.

My reason for associating it with immigration was the statement I made in respect to security in Banks etc.

Apologies for going 'off on one' - and yes I know nobody has called me a racist etc, I was speaking hypothetically. In regards to the crucifix, my side of that doesn't come from The Sun, my side of that comes from being friends with the brother of the girl that was suspended.

Edited by Stonah

My point (although I've gone off on a tangent) is that I personally believe religion has no place in modern society anymore.

No place in modern society?! Some of the scrotes round my area could do with a bit of Sunday schooling to learn how to be halfway decent people. Surely a religion that teaches people to love each other will always have a place?

It's an age old tradition that used to be an answer to questions that people of the times couldn't understand.. now we have science and fact that answers these questions.

If science has taught us anything, its that we know nothing, and that the vastness of what there is out there is way more than humans will ever understand. I see science as the cogs in a mechanical watch. Theyre the mechanism behind what makes the universe tick, but at the end of the day somebody/thing must have made the watch.

I learnt something on the fish forums that I think is a valid for all life. I can't remember exactly how it went, but its along the lines of

"So long as the conditions exist, SOMETHING will grow to take advantage of it"

Examples in the fish world are bacterias such as nitrosomonas and nitrospira, which appear in water containing ammonia and nitrites respectively.

Then there is algae, that grows from nothing when conditions are right.

I think this is how life on earth evolved. Because of the conditions that exist on the earth various forms have life have appeared to take advantage of what is available. And that is why life doesnt exist on a lot of other planets in the universe. Because its too hot/cold/lack of certain things needed to live

No place in modern society?! Some of the scrotes round my area could do with a bit of Sunday schooling to learn how to be halfway decent people. Surely a religion that teaches people to love each other will always have a place?

That's the job of the parents, not a church. :rolleyes:

I learnt something on the fish forums that I think is a valid for all life. I can't remember exactly how it went, but its along the lines of

"So long as the conditions exist, SOMETHING will grow to take advantage of it"

Examples in the fish world are bacterias such as nitrosomonas and nitrospira, which appear in water containing ammonia and nitrites respectively.

Then there is algae, that grows from nothing when conditions are right.

I think this is how life on earth evolved. Because of the conditions that exist on the earth various forms have life have appeared to take advantage of what is available. And that is why life doesnt exist on a lot of other planets in the universe. Because its too hot/cold/lack of certain things needed to live

Life did evolve from bacteria. Amoeba's etc are our ancestors.. the big bang 'theory' is a lot more realistic than a higher power creating us all in 7 days.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Show me where the nitrosomonas come from then sidrick...because they didnt come from the tapwater.

And it is indeed the parents job to bring their kids up well. I wasnt dragged up, and even if I were to get "in with the wrong crowd" my parents would have put a stop to it, I havent turned into Jeremy Kyle fodder.

Edited by Craig855S