Police Blue Lights

Norcostreet

I was in a 50mph average camera zone on the m62 earlier and i was in a line of cars in the outside lane. I noticed a BMW X5 fully marked car, with its blues, on a few cars behind. The car in front of me sped up and managed to squeeze into the 2nd lane. I saw a gap to my left and indicated to pull in wen the bozo in that lane sped up and blocked me off.

Meanwhile, the pigs now up my backside flashing his headlights and sounding his horn at me. He could have clearly seen that both lanes to my left were full of cars with no gaps. I sped up to 60mph to get out of his way and he continued flashing his very bright lights from 10mm off my bumper(good job i have tints or id have been blinded). Finally got out of his way and the :censored: :censored: :censored: turned off his blues but continued at 70/80 in a 50mph zone.

So my questions are;

By law, do we have to move for flashing blue lights or is it courtesy?

Especially if we run the risk of breaking the highway code(which they are meant to uphold)?

I believe that they use the blue lights to get to the scene of an emergency so i will always move out of the way as safely as possible but lately, the police seem to be using them to 'bully' the motorists.

Anyone else experienced this?

You don't have to risk yourself or your car for them. No matter what. I've ran a red light on a dual carriageway to let an ambulance through (it had a stoplight camera on it aswell so i was flashed) but i was careful to make sure nothing was coming across the junction and the ambulance got through fine.

I've never been in a situation where the cops were bullying me, and ideally, the other motorists should have made room for you to move into so the cops could get past you/them

thank you, i do recall ranting and raving at the numpty who sped up to block me off. Ive always moved for blue lights, regardless of the emergency service they're attached to.

His sirens were not on and im sure of that. My lass turned my music off so i had to sit in silence ;(

You are expected to move out of the way if you can do so safely, but in doing so you should not break any laws, or endanger any other road users.

You should never cross the stop line on a red traffic light (not even by a few inches) to clear the way for a vehicle with blues and twos unless specifically ordered to do so by a Police Officer in uniform.

You are expected to move out of the way if you can do so safely, but in doing so you should not break any laws, or endanger any other road users.

You should never cross the stop line on a red traffic light (not even by a few inches) to clear the way for a vehicle with blues and twos unless specifically ordered to do so by a Police Officer in uniform.

Wrong im afraid. It is the only time you are allowed to go through a red light legaly!

Wrong im afraid. It is the only time you are allowed to go through a red light legaly!

Have it your way. Just don't whinge when you get a ticket from a gatso.

A friend of mine told me many moons ago that you don't have to move over for Police or Ambulances.. only the Fire Service as they're the ones carrying the queens emblem on the vehicles. This may have been true a good few years ago, no idea if it is now though.

By law, do we have to move for flashing blue lights or is it courtesy?

Especially if we run the risk of breaking the highway code(which they are meant to uphold)?

I believe that they use the blue lights to get to the scene of an emergency so i will always move out of the way as safely as possible but lately, the police seem to be using them to 'bully' the motorists.

oh dear I suggest you go and hand your licence in.

blue lights are just courteous to move over, you actually dont have to unless his sirens are going

yes you do.

You do not have to move out the way.

wrong.

To be honest, I move out of the way for emergency vehicles no matter what. In the extrememly slim chance that it might happen - I really couldn't care less if I get a £30 fine or 3 points or whatever, I'd deal with that afterwards. My own finances would not be top of my mind when I see an ambulance approaching in my rear view mirror.