Police Blue Lights

Norcostreet

try this for your answer.. a definitive one :)

five 0 forums

its a forum moderated by police officers.. that should be a link to a thread about the same question :thumb:

Thats a definitive answer to my situation.. Which is "Only cross the white line if a policeman has given you a strict instruction to do so, and once you have done it i'd make a note of his car number and report it so if you get flashed by the camera at the lights you can take it to court.

The answer to general road driving and blues and twos is...I dont know. but obviously you want to move out of the way, In your situation you obviously had nowhere to go so maybe the "correct" thing to do would be to stay at 50, indicate left and wait to be let in? It is the job of the policeman to figure out how to get past

Unfortunately there's never been a definative case to set a precedent, so every occasion is unique.

Sid's already given the moral answer. The vehicle could be on its way to saving a life, and possibly even the life of someone you care about.

Craig's given the practical answer which makes allowance for the fact that camera operators are only not necessarily the sharpest tools in the box.

I think that 100% of the english public will move for an ambulance or fire engine, id park on the pavement to let them pass (have done before at the expense of a bumper).

I darent put a figure on the number of people that will move for the police though

That five-O forums has a good post on it, ill get it and quote it for you.

As was stated above, the emergency service driver is not taught to go begging that we get out of their way...they are taught to make best progress given the traffic density and environment they face.

There is an incredible amount of emotive..nee, hysteria, attached to the presence of an emergency vehicle.

witness the incredibly dramatic antics of ordinary drivers when a blue light appears anywhere on the road in front of them?

and to argue that 'every moment counts' is fatuous.......the Emergency vehicle driver, and the controlers, will know the approx response time..this is one of the targets they aim for.

30 seconds gained at your location, could as easily result in a minute lost further up the road....and vice versa.

Also, there is too much variation in the environment at all traffic light controlled junctions, to be able to make a blanket judgement regarding behaviour.

Not every junction possess sufficient room to allow a vehicle's length to be accomodated before fouling the adverse traffic flow.

In the broader picture, the next step would be tacit permission to ''exceed the posted speed limit'', on the pretext of ''getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle''....??

where does it all stop?

In all the above instances, I believe it would be necessary to gain the evidence of the emergency vehicle driver, as to whether they thought the unlawful action of a motorist resulted in a benefit to the emergency vehicle's response time??

''not a right lot'' I suspect may be the response..

I believe this post is actually from an emergency service vehicle driver (policeman)

Edited by Craig855S

Can I just add that although I quote the ambulance service I would be equally p1ssed off if I was being attacked & the police were unable to arrive before the final stamp on my head finished me off.

I say this as the topic is aimed at the police in general. :thumb:

at them red lights with cameras i park abit back just incase soo if the worst happons, can just move aside allitte bump up curb ect, i've had a cop car behind me in a 40 limit with cameras and i just go up the curb or to the side as not risking my licence as the coppers are always at the chippy down the road before closing time, lol

on a serious note i try to leave as much gap as possible they always get through :))