What's bad about these '99 Vectra 1.8 16v's?

LiamGTR

I simply can't comprehend how anyone can say the Vectra B was better than the MK1/2 Mondeo, are you all on drugs?

Yes the GSI looked a bit tougher, and was a touch quicker, but I really can't see how it's better anywhere else. The Mondeo has much better load access, the boot is bigger, it's more comfortable, rides better, handles better, it just goes on and on.

The Vectra B looks like a Cavalier inside (with the exception of the GSI which has some below average Recaro seats), rides poorly and the handling is really twitchy and odd. Then you get onto the problems with them. Everyone I know who's hada Vectra B has had no end of trouble with it. New steering racks, oil pump housing troubles, temperature issues, the works, even at fairly low mileage.

It's a shame, because the GSI is a nice looking car in facelift or pre-facelift form, and it makes a nice noise, but outside that, they're pretty terrible, and sadly the rest of the range doesn't even have that advantage.

Incidentally, on the rust issue; a good friend of mine had a 2001 Vectra B SRI 150 and that needed 4 new doors as they were all rotting away, so I think the rust issue is pretty even between them in my experience.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply can't comprehend how anyone can say the Vectra B was better than the MK1/2 Mondeo, are you all on drugs?

Yes the GSI looked a bit tougher, and was a touch quicker, but I really can't see how it's better anywhere else. The Mondeo has much better load access, the boot is bigger, it's more comfortable, rides better, handles better, it just goes on and on.

The Vectra B looks like a Cavalier inside (with the exception of the GSI which has some below average Recaro seats), rides poorly and the handling is really twitchy and odd. Then you get onto the problems with them. Everyone I know who's hada Vectra B has had no end of trouble with it. New steering racks, oil pump housing troubles, temperature issues, the works, even at fairly low mileage.

It's a shame, because the GSI is a nice looking car in facelift or pre-facelift form, and it makes a nice noise, but outside that, they're pretty terrible, and sadly the rest of the range doesn't even have that advantage.

Incidentally, on the rust issue; a good friend of mine had a 2001 Vectra B SRI 150 and that needed 4 new doors as they were all rotting away, so I think the rust issue is pretty even between them in my experience.

couldnt agree with you more. as i said my mk1 mondeo LX was so much better than my facelift vectra B CD. both were 1.8's, vectra was more powerful but sounded crap, handled abismally and killed my back. even my 93 citroen ax was better as that was fun even though it was a piece of s***

each to there own aye, ive owned both mk1 and 2 mondeos aswell as the vectras,

Your not wrong with the handling, vauxhalls are terrible with them and i very much doubt that will change, but mechanically they were so much better then the mondeo's alot more reliable, faster, and never rotts, i suppose its the way you treat them and look after them,

Interior wise the fords win hands down but my opinion overall all the vectra is a much better car, the amount of mondeos i see in scrap yards compared to the vectras my way proves my point. But like i said each to there own,

My opinion was based on owning experience, (putting my mk1 Ghia X aside).. owned 2 mk2's, and 2 Vectra's and the Vectra's were better in pretty much every way :)

neither Vectra had a spot of rust on, both Mondeo's did.

To be fair, there's a good and bad example of any car out there.

If I needed a sub £1k runabout again, the first thing i'd look at is Vectra SRi's :)