wireless routers

MCCORNY11

im using the standard netgear thing virgin media provide, and its rubbish, well, its either that or the modem that connects to it (also supplied by virgin)

I found the homehub to be really good,so long as you dont turn it off (when i turned mine off overnight it would constantly caused problems now and then, once i stopped doing that it worked fine all the time)

The best* home routers are made by Draytek, the Vigor range. A relatively unheard of name but a true geeks favourite.

* (unless you have Cisco budget!)

was just looking at draytek range which is quite impressive but as you said there unheard of as of millions of other router builders

belkin are the best imo - I have had virgins netgear and had problems with it endless times, so I bought a belkin and had no issues.

The homehub imo is also pants - we used to download loads of stuff, and it would cut off, reset itself constantly. Never have it again.

Edited by Haych

The best* home routers are made by Draytek, the Vigor range. A relatively unheard of name but a true geeks favourite.

* (unless you have Cisco budget!)

was just looking at draytek range which is quite impressive but as you said there unheard of as of millions of other router builders

yes they are great but im sure you wont be planning a site to sire VPN running from your house :roll: Id say the best bet is to go for either a netgear, i like the DG834s, or get a linksys as they are made by cisco ;) i use a homehub 2.0 and its alright but the firmware is shite like just like the bt business hub

Edited by scottg17

yes they are great but im sure you wont be planning a site to sire VPN running from your house :roll:

Neither do I, but I still use them and have done for almost 10 years now. I've also had the misfortune of using pretty much everything else out there and this is the background for my recommendation.

To some of the others, just because you own something which works, doesn't make it the best.

To some of the others, just because you own something which works, doesn't make it the best.

maybe not - but if I am included in that statement, I did say it was my opinion and I have used netgear, linksys, belkin, homehub and said I prefer belkin. It is also a better more reliable name

Actually you said it is the best, but if you want to qualify that as being the best out of the ones you've tried above, then that's fine.

And FYI, belkin and netgear are the same hardware a lot of the time.

At work we use the Netgear, stable with a good wireless range & it does take a good beating tbh.

At home I use a 2wire bt business 1800 HG router on my medium network (around 10 pc's and various other wireless hardware).

You can pick the 2wires business ones up on ebay for good prices as many think it cant be used in a home but with some settings tweaks its a great router.