just replaced wheel bearing...

danny1987

and what a BALL AKE!

once i got the cap off i think its supposed to have like one big nut which just screws off.... errm no! this had like 3 small ones that didnt want to come off as one they came off individually and were a proper arse to get off, once i did it wasnt to bad and the new bearings came with a large nut cap thing and that just replaced the 3 small ones.. alot better now. anyone else have that?

The retaining nut is made of sections enclosed in a cage so they don't come loose - you take them off with a socket as one piece :)

correctomundo.

the sectional hub nut is a newer designed replacement for the older crown nuts which required a additional split pin to lock them in place and were prone to loosen off if even half of the pin snapped away....where-as the sectional cant technically loosen itself as as one section loosens away from another it also inevitably tightens against the opersite nut.

you shouldnt have removed the retaining casing at all, instead you should have used a larger socket to fit over the casing..... btw if you have bent out the retaining casing to remove the nuts seperatly Id seriously suggest you purchase a new hub nut to replace it as it will eventually stop doing its job :thumb:

when you say the retaining casing... do you mean what like CLAWS around the 3 smaller nuts? if so... i completle destroyed that as i coldnt fit my socket in with it on and it was getting dark so completly twatted it all off so the only thing on now is the nut that came with the bearings. just did it as tight as i could took it round the block and seemed fine.