wiring question...

JC

What's the best way to join 2 wires together to make a clean connection and to have them water proof? :cheers:

Crimp them, you shouldn't solder anything on a car. You get heatshrink crimps with glue inside which melts and seals when heated.

Why, so theres nothing soldered on a car :jaw: :pancake: crimping can make poor connections :blink: :thumb:

You won't find anything soldered on a production car, other than circuit boards which are treated specially.

Crimps can make poor connections, if the crimper doesn't know what he/she is doing.

Thing is though Stu, Ford didn't solder wire-wire in production because each and every wire is long enough to reach its termination at each end which is normally a crimped pin or socket. For adding aftermarket wiring associated with new gauges or cutting into factory wiring to tap a supply off it then surely soldering is just as reliable as crimping.

I suppose it all depends on what you have at your disposal. At work I have access to proper crimping tools and proper crimps, as well as proper soldering irons with solder and flux, meaning I can make a clean join using both methods. But if you don't have access to a proper crimping tool and crimps then it may be better to solder (with the correct kit if you have it) than to squash a crimp with a set of pliers..

And besides, even a gash job crimp will still last the life of the car unless its messed with constantly.

We don't Stu. For the most part. We've used a "solder sleeve" on an aerial wire once, but for the most part wiring damage means replacement. Repairing the existing wire is a rare occurance, but when they happen it's an in-line splice and heat shrink. However, I don't recall why soldering is bad.. I probably was taught it but we're talking years and years ago now and wiring goes wrong so rarely that I've only ever repaired/replaced about 5 aircarft wires in my career

Looking at ebay,they all look kack, even draper make a crap one that is basically a pair of pliers...

Proper crimping tools have a ratchet and adjusting pins. This one looks like it may make an ok crimp, but from the pic you can't tell the quality from pics.

Edited by Craig855S