soundproofing at home

fekyo

my bedroom is a downstairs extension, so only one of my walls is 'touching' the house (kitchen and living room). slanted roof on my room so nothing above me. i need to soundproof the aforementioned wall as im driving my old dear nuts and vise versa always complaining about the bass etc. minus the door this wall is around 7 meter square. nd thee walls are extremely thin in this house.

soundproofing is expensive. would dynamatt or similar car audio soundproffing sheets be of any use in my room? to completely cover one wall with it? also would i need to do the door?

opinions/experiances? cheers

something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOUND-DEADENING-proo...=item3caa3babaa

i dont have a very big budget

Edited by fekyo

I tihkn dynamat will be hideously expensive compared to normal room soundproofing... you can get foam to do it.. or even special fibreboard sheeting (foam backed) designed for the purpose.. not that expensive if you only have one wall to do..

Like this..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACOUSTIC-FOAM-TREATM...=item2302d74662

Edited by Stu

You could just try some dense foam from a furniture repair place or something.. or even just cardboard sheets.. it doesnt have to cost the earth :)

Yes.. the door will most likely need to be done too..

You need to find out their DB rating before you buy them. They may only reduce it by 1 or 2 DB's.

You could bond some cellotex or something similar to the wall, should make a big difference depending on thickness you choose.

You could then finish it with plasterboard at a later date and have something permanent that looks as if it was just a normal wall.

Edited by Muzz

Hmmmmm..From celotex website, however, they're marketing this as a thermal insulation, so it may not be best at noise attenuation..

"The second option is to use mineral wool batts fitted between the studs, followed by an internal lining of Celotex TB3000 over the studs. This solution gives a thicker build-up but offers improved acoustic insulation.

Alternatively, using TB3000 or GA3000 with PL3000 plasterboard thermal laminate provides both the insulation and plasterboard in one product, helping to reduce installation time."

You dont want to go building stud walls now do you?

Cellotex plus a layer of 15mm BG soundbloc plasterboard will be more than sufficient. Probably cost £200 for a single wall, and it'll have a permanent finish.

Or you could just fix a single layer of BG Quattro 41 board which has superb acoustic properties and wouldn't need the insulation.

Thermal-laminates start at about £25 a m2 (to the public).

Edited by Muzz

k,, gonna sound very very weird but works, we used it for a college radio station/soundbooth

egg boxes,, dunno why something to do with the shape dispersing the sound/air waves and absorbing vibration,,

gotta be worth a look, we had them sprayed black, looked funky

Edited by charlie74